Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you take your dogs for walks? & If so how far? >
  • Do you take your dogs for walks? & If so how far?

• Do you take your dogs for walks? & If so how far?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:51 AM
    Power Poster

My rescue doggy about 27 lbs goes walking with me every day that is nice walking weather. We go four miles early morning and late evening, that's how long it is to walk to the end of the circle road in the neighborhood and back. She loves it. She is an in and out dog, we have three acres of yard for her to run. DH says it's her private dog park instead of our back lawn.
    Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 AM
    Power Poster

In bad weather I put my dog on a small treadmill going a nice walking speed for her. Her leash is short enough to keep her from going off and of course I never leave the room when she is walking on it and the instant stop is attached to her collar. She walks about 15 minutes before she gets sidetracked to something else.
    Old 03-31-2010, 02:17 PM

No. My beloved dog (a Border Collie) is an outside dog. I admire all you who have pets in the house but I simply will not. (He is very well taken care of...has nice place to be out of the weather and we play with him alot during the day.) He gets all kinds of exercise chasing birds, squirrels, and imaginery critters! We live on 160 acres and up until last fall, we did not have to confine him. Then, alas, he discovered that town is just a mile away. Now we have invisible fenced the yard in the immediate area of our house. I would love to take him for a walk at the park...and I have tried...he literally drags me all over the place! I do have wonderful memories of growing up and getting to walk my Aunt Martha's Basset Hound when we would go visit her.
    Old 03-31-2010, 02:44 PM

I had a 100# Rottie (lost her last fall to cancer). She could drag you and choke herself til I thought she would die. But I got a gentle leader, which doesn't look like much, costs about $20. It was like a miracle. When they try to pull with it on it turns their head back to you. Its a type of head halter. Try it..way better than a choker or prongs. I think a body harness encourages them to pull, especially the larger breeds. It was gentle on Both of us!!

Mary
    Old 03-31-2010, 06:06 PM

Thanks, Mary, for the suggestion. I will check at the pet store this weekend. I like to go for walks and would love to take Skye with me. He is such a beautiful and spoiled doggie! We love him dearly (as I know everyone does their pets)!
    Old 03-31-2010, 09:35 PM

My boys love to walk! When we are'nt working, we walk from 2 to 6 miles a day with them. They never seem to get tired. They also do a great deal of sniffing and lifting their legs. LOL!
    Old 03-31-2010, 10:15 PM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by mommaB
    I had a 100# Rottie (lost her last fall to cancer). She could drag you and choke herself til I thought she would die. But I got a gentle leader, which doesn't look like much, costs about $20. It was like a miracle. When they try to pull with it on it turns their head back to you. Its a type of head halter. Try it..way better than a choker or prongs. I think a body harness encourages them to pull, especially the larger breeds. It was gentle on Both of us!!

Mary
    This sounds like the same thing as the Halti headcollar - and I agree with you completely about the harness - after all, that's what you put on a horse when you want it to pull a cart, right?! :-D
    Old 04-01-2010, 02:16 AM

Our dog is a German Shepherd X and quite large, but somehow the halti eventually rubbed some fur of his nose and we started using a harness and he doesn't pull anymore. It may partly be that he has a good routine and is tired after a long walk, or the fact that I have more control with the harness and am not just yanking his neck if he did pull, but it works for us.
    Old 04-01-2010, 02:27 AM

I have two Jack Russell Terriers. I can wakl them 4 to 6 times a day. ( they are so spoiled ) Some times we go to the beach (Seasonal) and just let them run. And then I take them to a park that is 2 miles from home where I can let them run.
    Old 04-01-2010, 02:49 AM

i need the dog whisperer! i have a JRT(Gizmo) and a JRT/Beagle Mix(Chula). they pull also. after watching a few shows, i guess you are supposed to stop walking when they pull..they eventaully get it.
    Chula thinks she can take on any dog in the neighborhood..