Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you think it can be physically impossible to give up certain foods? >
  • Do you think it can be physically impossible to give up certain foods?

• Do you think it can be physically impossible to give up certain foods?

Old 06-13-2011, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    Honestly, I've lost 54 pounds since last March. I still eat anything I want, just in small moderation. 6 kisses and 10 or so chips ISN'T going to hurt you!! Trust me, I know. Just don't eat them every single day.

I still eat chocolate and ice cream, I've never been a chip person, but I do like popcorn - just get the 94% fat free kind now, and if you put some Mrs. Dash on them, it'll be great.
    I think you hit the nail on the head - "Just don't eat them every single day." That's the hardest thing to get over. I believe we all know how hard habits are to break, but once you do, how much better you feel about everything is pretty neat!
    Old 06-13-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
    About a week and a half ago I stopped eating chips and hershey kisses, first they're bad for you and expensive, or at least how much I eat. Felt pretty good, started eating more fruit and it has been warm and sunny and fruit always tastes better in summer.

Well, yesterday and today it has been cool and I've been hungry so last night I ate a handful of pringles and about 6 kisses and felt immediately better.

Do you think that our bodies get used to certain things and they just don't like not having them anymore?
    Sounds like a good excuse to me.LOL
    I actually like apples but am allergic to them, so find it very easy to avoid them.
    Old 06-13-2011, 03:39 AM
    Swap Hosts

I really think that certain foods - like chocolate and refined carbs - are an addiction. For me, once I start, it sets off a craving. So much better to stay away altogether.
    Old 06-13-2011, 04:15 AM

I was sent to a nutritionist by my doctor who was concerned that I was headed on the road to diabetes. She gave me two bits of advice; watch my portions and if it has more sugar than protein, don't eat it. Over 14 months I have lost 28 pounds without feeling deprived. Was it hard to clean my cupboard and give up my Great Grains cereals and other sugary stuff? Yes!!!! Fortunately, I have a daughter-in-law who can eat all this stuff without dire consequences; she was the happy recipient. Technically for health reasons I am on a low-salt, low-fat and low-sugar diet. However, I occasionally do eat potato chips, real ice cream and so-called forbidden foods; I refuse to eat sugar-free jams and jellies, opt for low-sugar instead. You can give up these foods, but when the urge strikes, I find moderaton and the occasional "fix" works for me. Good Luck! .
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:04 AM

Not sure it is a physical addiction but I am sure it is mental. I gave up chocolate for lent 4 years ago. It was really hard but I did it. I was eating chocolate all day every day. Over time the craving becomes less and less but never goes away. Now I eat it occasionally. It actually tastes better now because it is a special treat. I find the more I eat the more I seem to need.
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:13 AM

I just learned I had diabetes so I'm dealing with a big life change. Nothing like seeing what diabetes can do to you to get you to give up some things you think you can't live without. I have to stop some things cold turkey because I know a little dab won't do, like ice cream.
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Opal Jane
    The question is are we emotionally or physically addicted to certain foods? I think we are emotionally addicted.
    Ditto here. I am a junk food addict.
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:52 AM

I found that if I did without sugar for two weeks, I didn't crave it at all. But then when I ate one small piece of cake, the cravings came back big-time! But that's just me....
    Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 AM

I have read each and every post before replying.

Sugar is very addictive. Unless you have that addiction it is somewhat hard to understand. Many alcoholics and drug addicts turn to sugar after quitting drinking and drugging. Ask a chemical dependency counselor, they will confirm this.

Some people can have a small amount of sugar and move on. Others cannot. Any number of foods can be a trigger food for some. Most seem to be foods with a high sugar content. Eating these foods can start a binge with a compulsive eater. Sugar is really just another drug to many. That is why our country is so overweight. There are lots of compulsive eaters in the US.

It really isn't about willpower for some of us. We have all the willpower in the world to do other things.

There are may reasons people overeat. Lots stem from emotional issues. Overeaters Anonymous deals with lots of stuff like this.

Good luck to all who deal with this. Stopping sugar and totally abstaining will help immensely.
    Old 06-13-2011, 06:27 AM

I am a quitter.
    If I notice an eating pattern I end up throwing out whatever is left of that certain food and I don't buy it again. I have also recently learned "eat to live don't live to eat". I still cook meals based on what I want to taste. But I don't keep eating because of the taste. I save the left overs, and I know that I can ALWAYS make it again if I want that taste!
    However I don't have an addictive personallity. I quit smoking for six months with everyone around me still smoking. I started smoking again after one bad night with the attitude of "ha, I'll show you". Over the weekend I have quit smoking again, my husband started taking wellbutrin last week and one of the "side effects" is quiting (i just typed quilting) smoking. Well 160 dollars a month in my pocket doesn't sound bad so I just quit!