Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you think it can be physically impossible to give up certain foods? >
  • Do you think it can be physically impossible to give up certain foods?

• Do you think it can be physically impossible to give up certain foods?

Old 06-13-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
    About a week and a half ago I stopped eating chips and hershey kisses, first they're bad for you and expensive, or at least how much I eat. Felt pretty good, started eating more fruit and it has been warm and sunny and fruit always tastes better in summer.

Well, yesterday and today it has been cool and I've been hungry so last night I ate a handful of pringles and about 6 kisses and felt immediately better.

Do you think that our bodies get used to certain things and they just don't like not having them anymore?
    I'm an emotional eater. When I get stressed or depressed...I want chocolate. I've been on an eating plan for over a year now and have lost 43 lbs. I still have a lot more to lose but I am learning to eat healthier. Sometimes I "binge" and eat chips and chocolate. My body likes to fight me by craving things I used to eat. I give in sometimes but for the most part I'm stronger than the urges. At 58, my metabolism has slowed down and it fights me trying to lose weight. My husband says for him "moderation" is the key. Maybe you can work some of the things you like into your plan and not feel so guilty. That seems to be my big problem...feeling guilty and like a failure when I eat what I call "the good stuff". haha
    Old 06-13-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
    Yes, chocolate, and sunflower seeds in the shell. So I bought the mini chocolates and allow myself 2 a day, and only eat dry roasted, already shelled sunflower seeds. I have to admit, the hardest one is the seeds, I really love cracking those shells but I was going through 2 bags a day! The salt alone will kill ya!
    My husband used to suck on sunflower seeds to all the time. Dentist told him that wasn't a good thing for his teeth. So he gave them up.
    Old 06-13-2011, 03:05 PM

WOW, what a great topic, Thank yu to everyone for sharing, I see me in all of you, Coke cola has always been my favorite, if you remember the returnable 16 oz. bottles i could drink 2 eight packs in a day. Now thanks to that I do have diabetes and it was soooo very hard to try and quit, it took me 4 months and lots of headaches but i did do it, I still crave it and have one once in a great while but will never do what i did, but like you ladies i am an emotional eater and drinker (not booze), now i crave chocolates which I never did before, I could go months without chocolates but not now, and this has been since I was diagonosed with diabetes. I wish all of you happy health and thanks for listening.
    Old 06-13-2011, 03:25 PM
    Banned

I have a lapband and I am diabetic..trust me...foods are addictions like everything else we seem to love...and yes, I feel better eating a bag of cheese curls..but not for long..then the guild sets in....
    hardest to give up was salad, and then Diet Dr pepper!
    I do miss grilled cheese sandwiches and corn on the cob as well!
    Old 06-13-2011, 03:35 PM

In order to control a condition I have had to give up most of the "good foods"....chefs love to use their skills and add butter, cheese, milk to food preparations. My body can spot them immediately and my recovery is set back at least 5 days. So I have learned to shut my mind to them...coffee included, soda, beef, cookies, cakes, fudge, you name it. But being able to feel normal inside and have strength is a big incentive to stay on the wellness wagon.
    Old 06-13-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    Honestly, I've lost 54 pounds since last March. I still eat anything I want, just in small moderation. 6 kisses and 10 or so chips ISN'T going to hurt you!! Trust me, I know. Just don't eat them every single day.

I still eat chocolate and ice cream, I've never been a chip person, but I do like popcorn - just get the 94% fat free kind now, and if you put some Mrs. Dash on them, it'll be great.
    This may be a stupid question, but how do you get the seasoning to stick to the popcorn?
    Old 06-13-2011, 04:09 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by awf60
    Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    Honestly, I've lost 54 pounds since last March. I still eat anything I want, just in small moderation. 6 kisses and 10 or so chips ISN'T going to hurt you!! Trust me, I know. Just don't eat them every single day.

I still eat chocolate and ice cream, I've never been a chip person, but I do like popcorn - just get the 94% fat free kind now, and if you put some Mrs. Dash on them, it'll be great.
    This may be a stupid question, but how do you get the seasoning to stick to the popcorn?
    spray butter of course..heheheheh

if using micro popcorn you have to add it while it is still steaming in the bag...
    Old 06-13-2011, 04:10 PM

Well I tell you, three days of chips and kisses again and today I felt like crap. I feel like I'm 40 lbs heavier and I'm more tired.

I'm not going to say I'll give up salt or candy or ice cream as right now I'm eating crackers with creme cheese, but I will definitely watch how much I eat. I hate to think I'm sabotaging my wellness for illness. Feeling good feels so good so this time I'm going to try harder.

Good luck to all of us! Imagine a little tiny thing like a cocoa bean or salt granule telling us what to eat!
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:42 PM

If you have "celiacs" that is when you are alergic to wheat flower products.you can find other food and be satisfied, you may not like it at first,I lost weight and broke out in blisters. until I quit anything with wheat flour,reading labels is not fun.

d.swindle
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:45 PM

If you have "celiacs" that is when you are alergic to wheat flour products.you can find other food and be satisfied, you may not like it at first,I lost weight and broke out in blisters. until I quit anything with wheat flour,reading labels is not fun.

d.swindle