Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you use coupons at the grocery store? >
  • Do you use coupons at the grocery store?

• Do you use coupons at the grocery store?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:39 PM

Oh yes, I use coupons. And I do my best to use them when the items are already on sale which saves a bundle. I shop at 2 or 3 stores per week, tailoring a list for each store based on sales ads. Last week my grocery bill at one store was $142.62, but I paid only $89.52. Saved $53.10! I usually average 30-40% savings each week. It is so satisfying to see the original total and then watch it drop like a rock as the coupons come ticking off. And I like the challenge of trying to beat my best record.

Among 3 of our 4 family members, we have allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, dairy, egg, and watermelon. This really limits us in brand selection, knocking most store brands and generics out due to either ingredients or processing. Coupons really save so much for us, especially on items in which the name brand is our only safe choice.
    Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 PM
    Power Poster

When my kids were home, we would buy 3-5 Sunday papers for the coupons. When my oldest started driving, it was awesome to give her the list, they would clip coupons, I would alot X amount of dollars. Their goal was to get everything on the list for the least amount of money, the extra they were allowed to use for junk food :wink: They were AWESOME at this... There were actually times they came home with as much munchies as regular food. The next week, the extra they would save I gave to them in cash to go to the movies. This taught them to budget and save, it helped them immensely when they married and started families.

I still clip some coupons, but shopping for one, and the items I normally buy, there aren't many coupons available. Most of what I use now are all non grocery coupons :D:D:D
    Old 02-08-2010, 03:03 AM

Hey shopping nowadays is a big job even though it's just the 2 of us . Clipping and using coupons, checking weekly supermarket circulars for the best sales, keeping a list going at home when I use up an item and lugging those bags home isn't fun. I'm lucky to have several big supermarkets near me, newest one has the others offering $'s off my next order. I usually get a free turkey by spending a certain amount and sometimes a pork loin. Been seeing fewer coupons in the newspapers and in the mail, going to check out the websites listed to see what I can use. I always check out prices of store brand vs. buying a name brand product with a coupon to see what's the best bargin money and taste wise. Sometimes store brands don't taste or work as well as name ones. Get better prices and quality of cold cuts, fruits, veggies and eggs at the local farm market. Plan my shopping trips around errands to save on gas too. Check out clerks at one supermarket circle my savings on my checkout receipt. Now if I would just go home and put that amount in the bank I'd be rich!
    May in Jersey
    Old 02-08-2010, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
    The dieting website that we've been talking about in the weight loss threads, www.caloriecount.about.com has a partnership with a coupon distributor... I get an email that tells me the new coupons are ready...most of them are for a dollar or more off...I can't find one of th emails from them right now...will post it when I find the addy!
    I'm interested, please post should you find it. Thanks
    Old 02-08-2010, 06:02 AM

I used to use a lot of coupons but in my area, the stores are no longer doubling. Also, the selection of coupons has dwindled considerably in the past 6 months. I used to save about 10-15% when I would shop-not any more.
    Old 02-08-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by skpkatydid
    I just did a grocery shopping trip today. I used coupons and the store" discount card and saved $139.00. It is a pain to cut out the coupon and do the comparison as I shop but with results like this...it makes it worth it.
    If you saved $139.00, how much was your total bill?
    Old 02-08-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by omak
    Originally Posted by Marcia
    When we were living in Germany we were allowed to use coupons 6 months past their expiration date---but we were there before internet coupons, so I am clueless about that one.

Terri???? Can you fill us in????
    Thank you for your service to our nation!
    The reason I don't take expired right up to the six month allowance is because there is travel time from here to the overseas commissaries. The commissaries are allowed to redeem the coupons up to the six month expiration date, which is wonderful! We just have to make sure that the people have time to go through the coupons before they expire for the overseas commissaries! LOL <wave>
    Years ago, I was "in charge" of the coupons that people would send for the boat. Ladies all around the states would send me packages upon packages of coupons. I would sit for hours, sort them out, then at a meeting, would "dump" them on a table for people to go thru. What wasn't taken, was tossed in the trash. Some of the coupons, ok...ALOT of the coupons were expired. This is when I was in Hawaii. I wrote a nice letter to the lady who was heading the coupon thing up and told her that many of the coupons we were getting were expired and unusable. Well, I guess she got her nose in a snit or something because all of a sudden, the coupons stopped coming. I really didn't mind since I didn't have to go thru them anymore. Was actually a blessing in disguise for me.
    But, a few of us had sat down and pretty much sent a list of what brands we could purchase so the ladies who were sending could eliminate brands we couldn't use. Guess they really couldn't read because we would get coupons for TONS of things that weren't carried on island.
    I know here on Guam, there are some boats that get the packages and people are grateful for them. Don't get me wrong, we ARE grateful for them, but when most of the coupons are for things that are unobtainable, it's not a good thing.
    Ok...I'm rambling...guess it's time for bed.
    Old 02-08-2010, 07:47 AM

Our Wal-mart will match any ad for groceries. Since Wal-mart is only 12 miles away and all the "real" grocery stores are about 40 miles away, it's nice. Look at all the ads at all the stores, pick all the best prices and take the ad to Wal-mart.
    Old 02-08-2010, 07:53 AM

I've just started using coupons again this week.. went to Krogers and my total bill was $119. my savings was .... $59.
    and I didn't buy a thing that wasn't on my "list". Did similar at WalMart and Target. Though not as much total cost..I have a friend who does ad comparisons then takes it all to WalMart and gets EVERYTHING there. they have a policy to match sale prices. Saves her a stop.. It's on the way for me so it's no problem. I also check the dates on the sale items if I'm buying a lot to make sure it won't expire before I get it used. I've sent comments on products to several companies in the past also and wound up getting free product and coupons for my effort.. well worth 5 minutes to send an e-mail
    Old 02-08-2010, 08:00 AM

Wow---good point! I never thought about checking my receipt to make sure I am not being overcharged. I will be watching my cashier a little more closely from now on.
    Well, just realize it's rarely the cashier's fault. Nowadays, cashiers just scan the bar codes or punch in code numbers, They don't enter actual prices the way they used to. It's more that a price wasn't updated in the store's computer system. Or that the shelf stockperson didn't put the items by the right sign or didn't update the shelf price tag.

I find that coupons are not as good as they used to be. Most of the coupon section now seems to consist of ads for bras, upside down tomato plants, shoes, dolls, etc. What ever happened to coupons in the coupon section????
    It's the same here. Who buys those bras???