Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you use coupons at the grocery store? >
  • Do you use coupons at the grocery store?

• Do you use coupons at the grocery store?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:04 AM

Gosh.....we've got to do everything we can to save a bit...need to spend our money on sewing/fabric stuff...right?
    Old 02-08-2010, 08:13 AM

Yes, I use coupons! I love going to the store where they double the face amount, the item is on sale, and they pay me to take it out of the store!! whoo-hoo!
    Old 02-08-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by skpkatydid
    I just did a grocery shopping trip today. I used coupons and the store" discount card and saved $139.00.
    Cashiers always tell me, "You saved $15.00 today" or some such. No, I didn't. It's not like I would have bought some of the things at all if they'd been at the so-called regular price. This is especially true when they mark up the regular price. Like, they will normally sell a Lean Cuisine dinner for $2.69, but then they'll mark it up to $3.49 and put it on sale as 2/$5.00 to make it look like you're getting a huge bargain, when you're only getting 19 cents off each frozen dinner.

Still, I have never equalled what you did with your $139, skpkatydid!

They just rarely give coupons on things I buy. As someone said, lots of pet food coupons, and I don't have pets. Lots of pre-made foods like Hormel's vacuum-sealed tubs of beef & gravy.
    Old 02-08-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Our Wal-mart will match any ad for groceries.
    Since both you and Tippy posted this, I tried calling my Wal-mart to see if it does this. No answer, not even a machine. I also checked the online local store sale circular, but it wasn't in the fine print. I'll ask next time I'm there. Wouldn't that be nice, if it did honor other stores' sale prices!
    Old 02-08-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
    The dieting website that we've been talking about in the weight loss threads, www.caloriecount.about.com has a partnership with a coupon distributor... I get an email that tells me the new coupons are ready...most of them are for a dollar or more off...I can't find one of th emails from them right now...will post it when I find the addy!
    Hey I found the link for the coupons. It looks like you must register with this web site and they email you the coupon link.
    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/account/index.php It is listed under home and at the end of the bar it says Coupons. You print them off of your computer. Great deals on a lot of items.
    Old 02-08-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
    Originally Posted by skpkatydid
    I just did a grocery shopping trip today. I used coupons and the store" discount card and saved $139.00. It is a pain to cut out the coupon and do the comparison as I shop but with results like this...it makes it worth it.
    If you saved $139.00, how much was your total bill?
    The bill was over $400 before coupons. We still have 2 young adult sons living with us.They can go through food like a swarm of locust. (grin) It was a big shopping. I hate grocery shopping so I get everything at one store. I made a menu for 10 or more days. Our King Soopers (kroger) store sends out coupons that are tailor made for our household. They send "save $12 for a grocery order over $120 , for example. Most of the coupons they send are for items that I routinely buy. Plus by shopping yesterday they were having a sale ...if you buy 10 of the items with a certain tag you got $5 back.
    Old 02-08-2010, 03:10 PM

Wow you have impressed me. Makes me want to try harder to use coupons.
    Old 02-08-2010, 04:28 PM
    Banned

We use coupons when we can. Coupons.com will send out coupons to your email and you print out the ones you want to use.
    My dil MAKES MONEY using coupons/sales and rebates at Rite Aid!!! Where she finds the time I don't know.
    Our Walmart will honor other stores sale prices which is nice for one stop shopping. Plus my discount helps there too.
    Our Sunday newspaper doesn't print as many coupons as they used to just a few years ago.
    Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 AM

I have a 3-ring binder that goes with me every time I shop. I keep my coupons in baseball card holders. I save between $100-300 every other week depending on how much I buy. I get coupons from Sunday inserts, on-line, magazines and from family and friends. I am a fan of several sites on Facebook and get free coupons often. Yesterday I received a coupon for a free package of Double Stuffed Oreos. I had signed up on the Oreo's Facebook site a couple of months ago. I often use my coupons at Walgreen's and get free shampoo, lotion, razors, body wash and groceries.

I spend about 3 hours weekly clipping and printing coupons, organizing them in my binder and going over the grocery ads and matching up coupons to sale items.

I also use my coupons at Joann's for my fabrics, scrapbook supplies and other craft items.
    Old 02-09-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi

Years ago, I was "in charge" of the coupons that people would send for the boat. Ladies all around the states would send me packages upon packages of coupons. I would sit for hours, sort them out, then at a meeting, would "dump" them on a table for people to go thru. What wasn't taken, was tossed in the trash. Some of the coupons, ok...ALOT of the coupons were expired. This is when I was in Hawaii. I wrote a nice letter to the lady who was heading the coupon thing up and told her that many of the coupons we were getting were expired and unusable. Well, I guess she got her nose in a snit or something because all of a sudden, the coupons stopped coming. I really didn't mind since I didn't have to go thru them anymore. Was actually a blessing in disguise for me.
    But, a few of us had sat down and pretty much sent a list of what brands we could purchase so the ladies who were sending could eliminate brands we couldn't use. Guess they really couldn't read because we would get coupons for TONS of things that weren't carried on island.
    I know here on Guam, there are some boats that get the packages and people are grateful for them. Don't get me wrong, we ARE grateful for them, but when most of the coupons are for things that are unobtainable, it's not a good thing.
    Ok...I'm rambling...guess it's time for bed.
    I have only been doing the coupon project for about five years (give or take a few months <g>), but all of my coupons have gone to commissaries in foreign nations -- including Iceland! LOL
    Anyway, one of the commissaries wrote and said they needed to have the coupons separated into five categories, and I understood that they were operating on "volunteer" situation, and volunteers were not always available.
    Last fall, I got behind so I have been sending about $15,000 worth of coupons at a time to catch up, but I usually just use the flat rate envelopes ... each of the categories are placed into quart sized ziploc bags, so that (hopefully) the wives that use the coupons aren't overwhelmed with a bunch of tiny pieces of paper (I would REALLY be discouraged having to handle ten pounds of coupons at a time!).
    When I informed the unit that we needed to separate the coupons, I saw one lady's eyebrows go up, and thought, Poo on you! (retired officer's wife, figure it out - - AF <g>) apologies to those who do not fulfill this observation, but I'm not kidding you when I tell you some women have a BAD attitude. They produce NOTHING in a day, but if they have to leave their house to do anything other than play, they are overworked .... but, I digress! <g>
    My whole point of this dissertation is that most of our coupons are going overseas ... one of the commissaries in Japan said that the coupons were one way that those stationed overseas could keep up with what was going on stateside, so I sort of feel like I am helping with a bit more than saving the kids money (I am so old, you ALL are kids! LOL) ...
    It is sort of nice to meet someone who has been on the receiving end of coupons .... and, flat rate envelopes/boxes has certainly changed how we handle the coupons.
    When I started doing this project at the Unit all those days/months/years ago, I had a young former military wife tell me that she didn't think they printed coupons anymore:shock: --would have been easier for everyone if she had just said "I don't want to do it!" all, I wanted to do was publicize it! LOL ahh, well, mommy said it takes all kinds ... some kinds are not as interesting to me as others <g> <wave>