Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you welcome the newcomers ? >
  • Do you welcome the newcomers ?

• Do you welcome the newcomers ?

Old 09-15-2011, 06:42 AM
    JT

Find out if they have some small side groups. I recently joined a group that does charity quilts for veterans. This group meets on a different day than the guild, and gives you a chance to meet and talk with other guild members. Volunteer to bring treats or hold quilts for the show and tell. Bring something to show and tell. Sometimes people are shy/introverts and don't know how to start up conversations. Talk to one of the officers after the meeting and find out how to get involved. Take a class that is scheduled for guild members. This gives you access to a smaller group, and you are all working on the same project...learning together. Don't give up.
    Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 AM

Sorry for your poor experience. Our guild goes to each visitor and speaks with them during the first part of the meeting. I am a very outspoken person, so I have spoken up at different times and said: "Hi, I am new here, what's going on?" I have been known to talk with several different people. And I have also been known for giving my opinion, even if it was not asked for. But if you speak up, you may find that there are a couple of people that are of the same mind. Just go for it. Even if you only go when they are having speakers. Charlie
    Old 09-15-2011, 06:59 AM
    mim

guilds and churches are a good way to meet people if you are new -- BUT some just aren't interested in anything but themselves. My DS #1 moved a lot for corporate reasons. They visited every church in the new place and joined the one that was friendly and welcoming -- the REAL meaning of love of God.

I try to welcome new people -- and as I have been in 3 new places this past year, I am very open (pushy??) about talking to whoever I am next to. My new guild in Olympia is very friendly -- most ladies have lived there all their lives but are still warm. We do a lot of outreach things.

Right now the guild is making 300 Christmas stockings that other groups will fill for giving to people and children. And, yes, I am working on mine while I'm in Maine. Once a month a day is spent with making charity quilts.

I would write a letter to the president expressing sadness that you weren't comfortable.

Mim
    Old 09-15-2011, 07:01 AM

I don't think there was anything you could have done except insert yourself into one of those conversations going on around you. Sounds like it's not a guild you really want to be a part of!
    Old 09-15-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    Woo. This does not inspire me to seek out a local guild.
    I agree with you..............
    Old 09-15-2011, 07:10 AM

I once attended a quilt guild meeting that played very much like that and, like you, never went back. Most of the time, there are plenty of friendly people around though. I sort of assume that they are shy too and introduce myself to them, ask about their quilts. Mostly, that will warm people up. At our quilt group, visitors are introduced to the group and then we all make an effort to talk to them at least once during the meeting. It's probably a little overwhelming but so much better than the experience you had. I'm sorry. Don't give up though. There are other, more friendly groups out there. Just don't be afraid to put yourself forward a bit.
    Old 09-15-2011, 07:22 AM

I guess my first visit like that would be my last - sorry - but with no more welcome than that - why would anyone want to join unless you came with a host of your own friends and started your own "clique"..............
    Old 09-15-2011, 07:41 AM

I would recommend you write a note to whoever is organizing it, describing your experience as a visitor. Do guilds have rotating leaders or something? I bet they're not even aware of it.

I think groups need to be reminded to be more welcoming of visitors and newcomers; this is an ongoing challenge at our church.
    Old 09-15-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
    I am wondering what I should have done to have had a better experience......
    It's a shame you are so far from our local guild. They make you feel like family..... the family you LOVE to see! I joined a 2nd guild as well, but find them rather clique-ish and aloof.

I adore our local guild but can get to meetings very rarely due to my work schedule. I don't mind the 2nd guild in a nearby town. They have evening workshops and meetings which I can get to, but I still feel like an outsider.
    Old 09-15-2011, 07:46 AM

I too, have had an experience like that. I really wanted to belong to a group but when I went to a guild here no one made an attempt to welcome me or talk. I am a shy person and wait for someone to make the first move so I know that it is partly my fault. I did get a call to ask if I would be interested in helping with the quilt show or take an office!