Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you worry about dented cans? >
  • Do you worry about dented cans?

• Do you worry about dented cans?

Old 11-20-2020, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333
    I don't use cans that are expired, do you?
    In recent years, I have heard multiple food/safety experts (in radio interviews) explain that the expiration dates indicate when the producer feels that taste and/or texture may no longer be up to their standards, but it is definitely not and indication of when the product is no longer safe to consume. They say to use your eyes, nose and common sense - if the product looks or smells "off", then don't eat it.

I eat the food from cans that are past the use-by dates. In some very long past (e.g. two years), I can tell that the flavor is weaker than a "fresh" can. I've never had a can that even smelled bad.
    Old 11-20-2020, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by aashley333
    The large cans of cream of mushroom soup that I bought at beginning of pandemic were not dented, but expired (I noticed as I was preparing dinner). HEB took them back, no problems, but an inconvenience. I don't use cans that are expired, do you?
    I've used expired cans of food. I think the vast majority of the canned foods I use are single ingredient (or one main ingredient plus salt, spice, etc). I'm not sure I'd use something like a soup with that many ingredients if it was expired but I don't think it would be unsafe, necessarily.