Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does anyone else "overpronate" with their feet.....especially have "tarsal tunnel syndrome"???? >
  • Does anyone else "overpronate" with their feet.....especially have "tarsal tunnel syndrome"????

• Does anyone else "overpronate" with their feet.....especially have "tarsal tunnel syndrome"????

Old 01-19-2011, 05:44 AM
    Banned

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has the same problems I do. I have Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome in both feet/ankle from Overpronating. If you do, what worked for you?? I have taken Prednisone....which made me gain weight and made me really tired. And it helped but I still have problems. I bought the best (very pricey) shoes for my syndrome, Ariel by Brooks shoes, but the ridge is starting to hurt my feet alot (I wear shoes from the moment I step out of bed until I go to bed, ugh). So I was thinking about buying gel arch supports, my doc said those are horrible but I really want to try them. And there is no way I can afford to pay $400 for custom orthodics for one pair of shoes....help, please tell me I am not the only one :-(
    Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 AM

My DH has pronation, he suffered for many years, used arch supports but had to get orthotics. the the condition was complicted by diabetes and has no feeling in his feet.
    He slipped on the ice broke his ankle. now he is wearing a brace on his leg attatched to a refined orthotic. If you have insurace they will pay for that and a new pair of shoes once a year. sometimes you have to search for a Dr. that will help you. hope someone else has some good tips for you
    Old 01-19-2011, 09:16 AM

Gel supports will not provide support to your foot/ankle. Your foot/ankle needs to be positioned in a neutral position, with your heel more straight than turned out. Talk to an orthotist (a person who makes orthotics) or a physical therapist and see what they advise. If you can't afford the custom orthotics maybe the orthotist can come up with something you can afford or work with you on the price. I hope this improves, foot/ankle pain is very hard to deal with.
    Old 01-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Avia makes the best shoes for pronation. That is their speciality. My Avia toning shoes have been a Godsend since my last surgery, but they do take some getting used to. My second choice are SAS shoes.
    Old 01-19-2011, 12:05 PM

I wear Brooks Arial and I also wear orthotics. The orthotics have made a HUGE improvement in my feet. I went a couple years where I could not wear sandals or go barefoot for more than a couple steps. I can now wear good (SAS) sandals for the day without a ton of pain.
    I still don't wear dress shoes much, my orthotics don't fit in them. I would reccomend getting the orthotics.
    I wear them all the time in my shoes. I wear SAS shoes to work and the Orth fit in them great.
    Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
    Banned

I just bought the Aetrex orthotic for low arches.....I hope they work. wish me luck :-)
    Old 01-19-2011, 03:35 PM

most orthotics will fit in any shoe you will have to buy your shoes at least 1/2 size larger i worked for naturlizer for many yrs and that is what we would do for customers
    Old 01-19-2011, 03:41 PM
    Banned

oh, I didn't know that I needed bigger shoes. Thanks.
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:36 PM

Well, sometimes all you need are for them to be a wider width.
    Old 01-19-2011, 04:38 PM
    Banned

All I know is I am really frustrated but I still have hope of no pain again.