Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does anyone else have this problem? >
  • Does anyone else have this problem?

• Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 11-24-2010, 06:00 AM

I am sorry you have that reaction. I think they are over-powering, as well, but they don't give me a headache. I know people who have trouble going through the perfume aisle in stores and into Yankee candle stores, too. Very much an assualt on the senses!
    Old 11-24-2010, 06:01 AM
    Power Poster

And there are SO many of the pinecones. They are all over are store!
    Old 11-24-2010, 06:04 AM

I can relate to every post in this thread! I heard a while back that many people of North European descent have this problem (genetic, I guess). I taught school and some years students would deliberately wear and spray fragrances in the classroom and on their clothes. I would end up in the doctor's office and off work for days at a time. Administration refused to discipline these kids. Other years I had kids that were very careful and took good care of me. One of my friends kept saying to take Benadryl or get myself desensitized. It's not possible. Just have to control my environment or make choices as to where I go or what fragrances in personal hygiene and household cleansers I use. Travel can be a challenge too. I am having pool therapy for my knee replacement recovery and was so happy to see they had signs up Fragrance-free facility! Yeah!
    Old 11-24-2010, 06:40 AM

So many people just think you're being picky about their scents. Not so! I can relate to all of the above. My wonderful MIL, God rest her soul, used to bathe in perfume. I finally had to say something (everyone else didn't want to). She finally toned it waaaaay down and all were happy - even she was ok with it. I was at JoAnn's yesterday, and they, too had the scented pine cones in the vestibule. Instant headache just passing through. Love the scent, but the feeling isn't mutual!

I've found that the reed diffusers are much more subtley scented.
    Old 11-24-2010, 06:47 AM

I can relate I'm one of those scent-sensitive people too. I had to train my hubby early not to wear colone. Or I deffintly woulden't be snuggeling him. I had someone give me a gift box of mutiple expensive purfumes and my SIL just coulden't understand WHY I would just give it to her. LOL

I avoid the candle isles in stores too. I love candles but my family knows to get me UNscrnted ones.
    Old 11-24-2010, 06:54 AM

i agree i have copd and with all those sents i have a hard time breathing sometimes in there just the sizing on some fabric is enough
    Old 11-24-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by pester
    I can relate I'm one of those scent-sensitive people too. I had to train my hubby early not to wear colone. Or I deffintly woulden't be snuggeling him. I had someone give me a gift box of mutiple expensive purfumes and my SIL just coulden't understand WHY I would just give it to her. LOL

I avoid the candle isles in stores too. I love candles but my family knows to get me UNscrnted ones.
    i can relate my DH could not understand that perfumes and colones etc would give me a headach and couldnot breath
    Old 11-24-2010, 07:02 AM

Your soap box isn't big enough for all of us that agree with you!
    Old 11-24-2010, 07:13 AM

I do get watery-eyed and sneezy/stopped up in many stores like Joann's. But sometimes that happens to me even in department stores. Not really sure what it is that "gets" me. I seem allergic to most of the world! I keep chlor-trimeton in my bag. I like it because it doesn't make me sleepy or skin-crawly like Benadryl and helps with heightened allergy symptoms (though I also take prescription meds).
    Old 11-24-2010, 07:18 AM

I haven't had that problem at our Joann's but I did at Michaels the other day. I can tell you, that with asthma, I have stopped at the door of many shops and not gone in because of the candles they burn -- or the incense crap. I have had friends/husband go in and tell the managers why we aren't shopping at their store, too. You won't believe how many don't care!!!!