Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does anyone else have this problem? >
  • Does anyone else have this problem?

• Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 AM

I have to deal with the overwhelming perfume at work, it is so strong that after an hour or two I am sick to my stomach, and have a headache. I keep an odor neutralizer on my desk to help (and it does) but everytime this person walks by my desk I have to hold my breath.

My daughters have learned not to wear perfume, or scented lotions when they come home, they are considerate enough, but shopping is a horrible experience for me as well.
    Old 11-24-2010, 07:46 AM
    Power Poster

JoAnn's isn't bad here, but you would want to avoid the Mall like the plague.
    Old 11-24-2010, 11:02 AM
    Power Poster

I have to avoid the candle sections of most stores... it is just too much fragrance in a limited area.
    Once in a while there will be a group in a perfume aisle that are trying many scents, and that will get to me too.

I was at the allergists office one time with my grandsons, and they had to ask a parent to leave... she had "over sprayed" herself with perfume :roll:
    Old 11-24-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by mollymct
    I do get watery-eyed and sneezy/stopped up in many stores like Joann's. But sometimes that happens to me even in department stores. Not really sure what it is that "gets" me. I seem allergic to most of the world! I keep chlor-trimeton in my bag. I like it because it doesn't make me sleepy or skin-crawly like Benadryl and helps with heightened allergy symptoms (though I also take prescription meds).
    the sizing in clothes can triger problems i know if i go into astore that sells cheep clothing or fabric my eyes will itch my noes stops up and if i stay my head will start hurting
    Old 11-24-2010, 11:51 AM

It seems like some people think you are the only one with this problem. There are a lot of us that can't stand all that perfume.
    Old 11-24-2010, 12:43 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
    I have to avoid the candle sections of most stores... it is just too much fragrance in a limited area.
    Once in a while there will be a group in a perfume aisle that are trying many scents, and that will get to me too.

I was at the allergists office one time with my grandsons, and they had to ask a parent to leave... she had "over sprayed" herself with perfume :roll:
    I love perfume, but I would not use it to go to an allergist's office. That just seems like common sense to me!
    Old 11-24-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Originally Posted by amma

I love perfume, but I would not use it to go to an allergist's office. That just seems like common sense to me!
    some people just don't learn or have common sence
    Old 11-24-2010, 02:28 PM

I have the same problem!
    If we all complain to the manager, it probably won't help but doesn't hurt to try!
    Old 11-24-2010, 02:43 PM

I walked into the foyer of a medical supply place --they had just placed the candles that are electric gadgets. It was so strong it made me want to leave. they deal with people with weakened immune systems, etc.---wouldn't you think they would know better ? and JoAnns is terrible for smells. get in and get out. public places should use their heads--maybe we all need to start leaving suggestions in their places ???
    Old 11-24-2010, 05:27 PM

My DSIL went with me to JoAnn's during one of his Dad's chemo treatments, and before we left the store he was already getting sick. I felt so bad. Had I known that fragrances bother him, I never would have gone in there, even for a minute. They have all their candle and fragrance oils up near the front of the store, so you can't avoid it. So, yup, I know just what you mean. how is Michael's for that, I wonder?