Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does anyone else have this problem? >
  • Does anyone else have this problem?

• Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 11-24-2010, 05:50 PM

I have a disability called Severe Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. It is caused by environmental substances and manmade products. I have been on oxygen since 1993 and had to medically retire from teaching in 2002 because schools have a mutitude of toxins in them. The only time I don't have to use oxygen is when I am in my home. No one enters our home except my husband and myself because of the odors that come in with other people. I can't go outside when the neighbors do laundry because of the toxic chemicals from laundry soap and fabric softners their dryers release into the air. I could go on and on and on - but, I won't. I go to JoAnn stores because it is the only place I can afford to buy fabric. The Wal Mart stores in our local have stopped selling it and the small quilt shops charge so much more. I have my oxygen turned to high and I hold my breath going through the doors. I have to know exactly what I want because I can't remain in there more than a few minutes even with my oxygen. This is about the only place my husband will not enter with me because he has negative reactions to the smells. He waits in the car for me. He is an absolutely wonderful man because of all of the things he has given up because of my disability and he has never ever complained. If you would like some of my survival tactics and how I treat the 100% cotton fabrics I buy (the only fabric I can use because it is natural material) please let me know.
    Old 11-24-2010, 08:13 PM

My DH hates this time of year because of those cinnamon scented pinecones! And they seem to be everywhere...even the grocery store has them! They give my hubby headaches.
    Old 11-24-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by tigger5464
    Whenever I go to JoAnns I literally have to hold my breath to walk in the doors due to the extreme scent of some items that they have in their entrance. This time of year it is the cinnamon scented pinecones. On Monday I was there with my Mother and we both ended up with a severe headache due to the overwhelming scent of the pinecones. They were located in an entrance that has outer doors and a set of inner doors. Every time the inner doors opened the smell came inside the store. As soon as I got into the store, my sinuses were plugged or running and my eyes were watering. A few minutes later the headache started.

I guess that I'm ranting now, but could someone explain to me how the over powering scent of perfumes and such are so much different from the smell of smoke to people with allergies??? Personnaly I am allergic to perfumes, dyes and such so I avoid anything like that but then am subjected to it when I enter JoAnns!!! Then the fabrics that they carry smell like it too!!!

Getting down off the "soap box" now... :oops: Thank you for letting me rant/vent about this. :oops: Was just wondering if anyone else has this problem.
    Hey Tig, me too. Boss use to put this awful potpourri in crock pot & it made me sneeze or water just poured out my nose. Some people can't understand this. Smoke nearly kills me even smelling it on other people. Dh use to play in C & W band & as soon as he got home he had to jump in the shower because the smell on him would wake me up with major allergy attack. Perfume is out of the question. Dh can't even wear cologne around me.
    Old 11-24-2010, 08:58 PM

I have a problem with the cinnamon scent. Congestion and headache. JoAnns is horrible and today I ran into the same thing at WalMart's Christmas section. Knocks the urge to shop right out of you!!! :thumbdown:
    Old 11-24-2010, 09:30 PM

There's one store here in town that has lovely stuff, but I can't go there because of the powerful odor of musk, perfume, or whatever it is that's in the candles they insist on burning all the time. International Imports I think it is, but haven't been there for a long time. Gives me a migraine within a few minutes of entering, so I exit rapidly and don't go back.
    Old 11-24-2010, 09:43 PM

I can handle the cinnamon in the pine cones. My daughter even bought some a few weeks ago so I had to ride home 50 miles with them. When I worked at JoAnn's it was a fresh batch of eucalyptus that always made me ill. I still can't get too near it in a store. The detergent aisle is another one. I know exactly what detergent I want so I hold my breath and hurry to get it.

The bread aisle is an instant headache and sometime nausea. I had to buy bread tonight to make tea sandwiches for a dear friend's memorial service. My son will be here tomorrow night and Friday morning to trim and cut it for me. I have celiac disease (no wheat) and a severe yeast allergy. My exposed skin is feeling slightly burned right now. A bath before bed will help.

I have been diagnosed as allergic to the environment, but what are you going to do? According to my doctor, since irrigation, even the mountains of Arizona aren't as clear of allergens as they once were.

I have a book that says we are the canaries the miners used to wear on their hats. If we don't clean up our environment, others will follow in our footsteps. When the canaries died, the miners got out. It's not so simple when it's our Earth we are talking about.
    Old 11-25-2010, 04:01 AM

venting is a good thing! Yes and it seems any store does the scents, I also am allergic to someof them, I love candlkes and have to hold my breath sometimes cause of the strong smell.

And I guess it depends when you go to any store,the time thing I guess. those pinecones with cinnamon, just has to go!
    just too strong!
    Old 11-25-2010, 04:04 AM

oh and I read sometime ago cinnamon was good for us?? um and we have reactions just smelling this ? whats wrong with this picture?? I really do like cinnamon in the oatmeal..
    Old 11-25-2010, 04:06 AM

I think they are nasty, too. I wonder if anyone buys the things.
    Old 11-25-2010, 04:11 AM

I am sorry you have such a hard time. Do you shop for fabric on line?? Two places I have found have good prices. Thousands of Bolts is one and Connecting Threads is another.
    It may help.....if you can stand to be around the computer.