Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does anyone else have this problem? >
  • Does anyone else have this problem?

• Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 11-25-2010, 04:57 AM

I'm also allergic to almost everything. Smell wise.My husband says I have the best nose of anyone he knows. Avon perfumes are the worst, My husband like to warm up tortills over the open flame on the stove and that really sets me off. Wood fires, worst,candles,yuk. Most of my friends are really good. But I have to be careful and stay as far as possible ,without offending me. Material,bad too. My thumbs crack near the nails, If I handle too much. Isn't it lovely.Ha
    Old 11-25-2010, 05:51 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
    I am having pool therapy for my knee replacement recovery and was so happy to see they had signs up Fragrance-free facility! Yeah!
    I loved fragrances until I reached a "certain age" and could no longer tolerate them. They trigger migraines for me.

I would LOVE to find a fragrance-free fitness facility! One woman who is always in the gym at the same time I am absolutely REEKS of a really strong, stinky cheap cologne. It just ruins the day for me, as the smell fills the facility and I leave with a headache. I can't imagine buying fabric from a store that was filled with artificial scents. All those scents permeate the fabrics.
    Old 11-25-2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by pstoner
    I have to deal with the overwhelming perfume at work, it is so strong that after an hour or two I am sick to my stomach, and have a headache. I keep an odor neutralizer on my desk to help (and it does) but everytime this person walks by my desk I have to hold my breath.

My daughters have learned not to wear perfume, or scented lotions when they come home, they are considerate enough, but shopping is a horrible experience for me as well.
    I also worked (medical office) where there was no sympathy for me regarding the LOUD perfumes the young girls wore. I asked and pleaded with the mgrs to enforce the dress code of no perfume in the medical office, alas to no avail. What is cost me in my health is non-repairable. I spend much time in hospital and was terminated because of lengthly hospital and sick and home. I was told via a lawyers letter that I would have to tell them exactly the name of each perfume that caused me breathing problems and then to take tests and I would have to pay for the tests, which I did not do and what I should have done was hired my own attorney. But again I did nothing so I could keep my job (had a bedridden husband with MS); had to work. That is the end. I am now 72 with serious breathing problems and I RUN RUN (okay walk as fast as I can away from odors). Good luck to all of us with these problems,
    Old 11-25-2010, 08:08 AM

They don't bother me if they are subtle, but when there are so many together, it can overwhelm! My DH really hates to be around the areas with potporri and scented candles.
    I agree about perfumes...subtle is best!!! :thumbup: :D :D
    Old 11-25-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
    It has to do with the type of fragrance used on/in the products or the fixative used with it. Usually it is because it is a synthetic rather than a natural fragrance.

My daughter works for a candle maker and they use the all natural essential oils which limits the allergic reactions to only those people would be allergic to if they encountered them in nature.
    Too true...I am not allergic to the natural oils but any scented product with the synthetic fixer will send me to allergy hell. Scented stuff is everywhere and so obnoxious. Yesterday I had to buy laundry soap. I had to hold my breath and grab anything labeled unscented as I raced down the aisle. The worst of the worst is when men slather on the Old Spice or other cheap Aftershave, they think it makes them irresistible, it just makes my eyes water. "No honey I am not crying because you are so cute..." Same goes for women who think cheap perfume is a bargain so use extra for effect. The best air freshener is fresh air....not some vanilla scented stuff that send out puffs of irritant every 15min. No it does not cover up the smell of dog, cat, cigarettes, or any thing else, it just adds to the melange.
    Old 11-25-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
    oh and I read sometime ago cinnamon was good for us?? um and we have reactions just smelling this ? whats wrong with this picture?? I really do like cinnamon in the oatmeal..
    It is not the real cinnamon that is the problem...it is the synthetic cinnamon scent and the chemical fixer that is the problem. Real cinnamon is good for you.
    Old 11-25-2010, 08:54 AM

Boy I thought it was only me being hit in the face with the cinnamon but I guess they had to add syntheic to last throught the hoilday,and with so many bunched together it's extra scented.
    Old 11-25-2010, 09:34 AM

I have to agree with all of you. One of our lqs was half flower shop and had a lot of scented candles and potpourri. I couldn't stand to be in there for more than a few minutes. I told the owner about the problem, as did other people with the same sensitivities. She has cut way back on the flowers and gotten rid of all the smelly stuff.
    Old 11-25-2010, 10:09 AM

None of the other scents bother me just the cinnamon. And real cinnamon at home does not bother me so it must be the "fixer" or artificial scent. Some things I do not care for the smell of but it doesn't cause any problems. And if you do not have any issues with any scents consider your self very lucky in that regard!!
    Old 11-25-2010, 11:56 AM

I too am very sensitive to perfumes and scents. Remember when you couldn't go thru a dept store at Xmas without someone trying to spray you with some perfume? I have to hold my nose and try not to breathe when i go thru these depts also. Thankfully, my DH is the same and can't wear aftershave and I don't wear any cologne. I do have a friend that seems to use too much of the stuff sometimes but so far we have survived it.