Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does anyone else have this problem? >
  • Does anyone else have this problem?

• Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by tigger5464
    Whenever I go to JoAnns I literally have to hold my breath to walk in the doors due to the extreme scent of some items that they have in their entrance. This time of year it is the cinnamon scented pinecones. On Monday I was there with my Mother and we both ended up with a severe headache due to the overwhelming scent of the pinecones. They were located in an entrance that has outer doors and a set of inner doors. Every time the inner doors opened the smell came inside the store. As soon as I got into the store, my sinuses were plugged or running and my eyes were watering. A few minutes later the headache started

I guess that I'm ranting now, but could someone explain to me how the over powering scent of perfumes and such are so much different from the smell of smoke to people with allergies??? Personnaly I am allergic to perfumes, dyes and such so I avoid anything like that but then am subjected to it when I enter JoAnns!!! Then the fabrics that they carry smell like it too!!!

Getting down off the "soap box" now... :oops: Thank you for letting me rant/vent about this. :oops: Was just wondering if anyone else has this problem.
    Yes! There's this one supermarket that has the floral dept. at the entrance. And at this time of the year, those same cinnamon scented pine cones "welcome" each shopper as they enter. My eyes immediately begin to tear up. I also cough and sneeze at Hancock and at JoAnn's.
    Old 11-26-2010, 10:03 PM

I can sympathize, I am allergic to Lavender of all things. If you want a challenge, try finding any store that doesn't have Lavender scented everything! In the last few years, I have had to learn to shop very fast, so I can still breathe when I am done! I went to my daughter's for Thanksgiving, and she had a sign on her door that read: Warning- No lavender scented anything. Mom is here! Very accomodating, but just a little embarrassing! :oops:
    Old 11-27-2010, 03:43 AM

A few perfumes bother me but I love the scented cinnamon pine cones. They are a bt strong but just because there are so many of them. Seam like I got some a few years back and a week later you couldnt smell them unless you picked one up..
    I love all the smells of spices it is the perfumes that some bother me. Just hurry in and pass them realllllly fast and enjoy the season.
    Old 11-27-2010, 06:01 AM

Okay, here's a thought. You know how forensic teams always put Vicks under their noses when dealing with corpses? I wonder if a little rub of that before shopping would work??
    Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 AM

I just fired off an email to the stores asking them to consider removing them from the doorways. Do you really see people buying these? It seems like there are piles of them left every year at the end of the season.
    Old 11-27-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
    oh and I read sometime ago cinnamon was good for us?? um and we have reactions just smelling this ? whats wrong with this picture?? I really do like cinnamon in the oatmeal..
    I don't think it is real cinnamon, but an artificial, chemical scent that is used. Real cinnamon does not bother me, but the scented pine cones are a killer.
    Old 11-27-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by kellen46
    Originally Posted by mom-6
    It has to do with the type of fragrance used on/in the products or the fixative used with it. Usually it is because it is a synthetic rather than a natural fragrance.

My daughter works for a candle maker and they use the all natural essential oils which limits the allergic reactions to only those people would be allergic to if they encountered them in nature.
    Too true...I am not allergic to the natural oils but any scented product with the synthetic fixer will send me to allergy hell. Scented stuff is everywhere and so obnoxious. Yesterday I had to buy laundry soap. I had to hold my breath and grab anything labeled unscented as I raced down the aisle. The worst of the worst is when men slather on the Old Spice or other cheap Aftershave, they think it makes them irresistible, it just makes my eyes water. "No honey I am not crying because you are so cute..." Same goes for women who think cheap perfume is a bargain so use extra for effect. The best air freshener is fresh air....not some vanilla scented stuff that send out puffs of irritant every 15min. No it does not cover up the smell of dog, cat, cigarettes, or any thing else, it just adds to the melange.
    So totally relate to all you have said. Plus kitty litter labeled fragrance free is not the same as unscented. Gotta watch that too!
    Old 11-27-2010, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Boopers
    I have to agree with all of you. One of our lqs was half flower shop and had a lot of scented candles and potpourri. I couldn't stand to be in there for more than a few minutes. I told the owner about the problem, as did other people with the same sensitivities. She has cut way back on the flowers and gotten rid of all the smelly stuff.
    My lqs owner said to just call before I come over and she will unplug the air fresheners. She doesn't seem to get that she'd have to turn them off for days! Sometimes I just try to suck it up as she is only a few blocks away, but can't stay long and have a horrible headache that lasts for hours afterward.
    Old 11-27-2010, 07:45 AM

The allergist I go to calls it "multiple chemical sensitivity." I call it allergic. Scents really get me. I can just meet someone in a door and get set off. I am also "lucky" enough that I am allergic to most fabrics--silk, rayon, acrylic, wool, etc. Thank goodness I don't have a problem with cotton. Everything I own has leather seats (truck and furniture). I deal with it a lot better since I retired.
    Old 11-27-2010, 04:06 PM

i have a couple drivers that use WAAAAAY too much cologne...

because i do all the human resources stuff & it's health insurance sign up time, i've had a lot of them in the office...

one guy was so bad, i said " nice cologne, must you bathe in it?? " told him to come back next day without his cologne.

apparently, news went thru the terminal cause no one else came in with cologne on...such a nice change!