Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does anyone know about sheep? >
  • Does anyone know about sheep?

• Does anyone know about sheep?

Old 04-17-2011, 03:12 PM

make sure to keep her feet trimmed is it a lamb or older sheep. ewe, wether or ram? Meat or wool? there are Good books at library. Handle your sheep a lot will make it easier to medcat,trim, and show her. Good luck
    Old 04-17-2011, 03:40 PM

We had sheep on the farm when I was growing up. I always loved it in the spring when the lambs came. They're so cute. The only sheep I have now are the ones I decorate with. I have primitive [sheep,crows and saltbox houses] and antiques in my decor.
    Old 04-17-2011, 03:42 PM

No sheep now. But I raised doggie lambs as a kid to pay my way through college many years later. Love 'em.
    Old 04-17-2011, 03:52 PM

How wonderful that your son is in 4H. Its a fantastic organization that teaches so much. I grew up with sheep and my bother and sister showed them at 4H. I was too young. All I remember is being butted by Tinkerbell - the Ram. He didn't want me in his field. :( Tell him best wishes and may he learn many wonderful things.
    Old 04-17-2011, 04:08 PM
    Power Poster

My father's family have been raising livestock/farming/foresting for many years, so I have some pretty interesting memories regarding sheep! Sheep are not as stupid as people think. The best thing to do, apart from getting all the fencing, feeding and watering spot on, is to speak to them and handle them often. If they are used to people it is a lot easier when you have to bring them in and when you check eyes/ears/mouth and feet.

My son did a stint of working with a shearing team in the South-East of Western Australia. Working as a shed hand....very hard, hot work, but he came home with lovely hands....all that lanolin in the wool.
    Old 04-17-2011, 04:18 PM

I am a spinner and have several friends with sheep, but suffolk is meat sheep and I only know the fleece kind. That is so cool that you can lease a sheep. Does your son have to go out daily to care for it? Do you have to take care of vet stuff? How does it work?
    Old 04-17-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by OHSue
    I am a spinner and have several friends with sheep, but suffolk is meat sheep and I only know the fleece kind. That is so cool that you can lease a sheep. Does your son have to go out daily to care for it? Do you have to take care of vet stuff? How does it work?
    The farm program takes care of vet stuff. DS shares feeding and cleaning duties with the other 4H kids who are leasing sheep. He has to do 5 feeds (feeding and watering all the sheep, not just his) and 2 cleanings (again all the sheep). It cost us $65 to lease the sheep. Fair is in the middle of July. We had the option of raising a market sheep but, if you don't make enough money at the auction of your animal to cover the current market price, you have to pay the difference so that was just not financially possible. DS has to attend 2 showmanship clinics to learn how to show the sheep. He's supposed to go out twice a week to work with the sheep. That's really all I know because this is our first year.
    Old 04-17-2011, 05:24 PM

Shannon, It sounds like your son will be getting quite a bit of guidance with his project. Because you are leasing, the breeder will see to health/safety issues and will be supplying the feed. It sounds like your son will be learning as he goes. Sheep are a wonderful 4H project...both our daughters showed sheep for all 10 years of their 4H careers. Sheep are definitely not an easy project...they really should be walked daily...even a couple times a day. Good luck to your son!
    Old 04-18-2011, 09:09 AM

Wow! This whole lease a sheep thing boggles the mind. I guess I just assumed people who didn't have the facilites for such things, didn't do 4-H.

It sounds like it will be a very easy project sincehe only has to do 5 feedings and cleanings. That sure beats every day!

The worst part of sheep is cleaning them up for the show. Wet sheep stink!
    Old 04-18-2011, 03:08 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Wow! This whole lease a sheep thing boggles the mind. I guess I just assumed people who didn't have the facilites for such things, didn't do 4-H.

It sounds like it will be a very easy project sincehe only has to do 5 feedings and cleanings. That sure beats every day!

The worst part of sheep is cleaning them up for the show. Wet sheep stink!
    Or getting them to behave when you have to show them (that's why getting to know his sheep is important). ;-)