Does anyone like to Can

Old 08-02-2010, 05:48 AM

we only have a small garden, 2 zuchinni, 3 tomato plants peas, strawberries , 1 pepper , 1, egg plant, 2 butternuts, and a spagehti squash, I can the tomatos, freeze the squash, luckily I have neighbors that have apricots, plums, and grapes, we make jam from the grapes, and freeze the plums & apricots.
Next year Honey promises we'll have a bigger plot.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:47 AM

I used to bottle everything I could lay my hands on, monday was my baking day and i made bread and bread buns for lunches and froze them, while the bread was rising I did the washing, I would be pulling the last of the bread out of the oven when everyone came home from school or work and if it wasn't in the freezer by then it didn't make it as they all loved my fresh bread, then the kids left home and tho I made bread and jam and bottled less I was diagnosed as being a cieliac and I haven't made bread since, most gluten free bread is absolutly yuck if you don't eat it when it is first cooked you may as well use it for house bricks.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by vjengels
we only have a small garden, 2 zuchinni, 3 tomato plants peas, strawberries , 1 pepper , 1, egg plant, 2 butternuts, and a spagehti squash, I can the tomatos, freeze the squash, luckily I have neighbors that have apricots, plums, and grapes, we make jam from the grapes, and freeze the plums & apricots.
Next year Honey promises we'll have a bigger plot.
Would you be really kind and post your recipe for Grape Jam here for me.thanks in anticipation.

Elle
Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 AM

I just used the 'sure-jell' recipe included in the package of pectin
The only change I made was we used 3 types of grapes, she had concorde, champagne, and red; it's sublime! We do these as a shared project, I provide the pectin and the equipment, and the kitchen, someone provides the fruit, the other person provides the jars and lids, then we split the finished jam; no one is out the whole cost, everybody gets some , same with peaches.

Sure-Jell recipe
cups prepared fruit (buy about 4 lb. fully ripe Concord grapes)
1 cup water
1 box SURE.JELL Fruit Pectin
1/2 tsp. butter or margarine
7-1/2 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl

BRING boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.
SLIP skins from grapes. Finely chop or grind skins; set aside. Mix grape pulp and water in saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 min. Press through sieve to remove seeds. Combine skins and pulp. Measure exactly 6 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-qt. saucepot.
STIR in pectin. Add butter to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
LADLE immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 min. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middles of lids with finger. (If lids spring back, lids are not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

BTW: we have 'grape leaf 'rolling parties in the spring from her vines also, Mariella provides the leaves, I provide the Lamb, someone else brings rice, we have refreshments sit, roll, snack, talk & everybody gets something great to take home.
It's alot more fun than sitting for 2 or 3 hours rolling them myself every spring.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ladymurphy
I put up 10 pints of fig preserves this morning. We experimented with making a fig upside down cake too. It turned out very good.
Oh, YUM! That sounds so good!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:15 AM

I love to can! We have a huge garden and I love the taste of it in the winter. In fact we picked alot out of the garden last night, and my jars are in the dishwasher right now, soon as they are done, they will get filled with fresh Michigan bluberry jam (my fav) and veggie soup.So far I have made wild blackberry jam, rhubard jam, strawberry jam, strawberry/rhubarb jam. I have froze a ton of zucchine for bread, cabbage, corn, greenbeans & berries, along with rhubarb for the rhubarb cake in the winter.Oh, the jars are done, time to go!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:33 AM

Vjengels. Thank you so so much the recipe sounds great and what a lovely idea about rolling the vine leaves. I have heard of this, now thats something to think about and a bit different.

Elle
Old 08-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by sally's girl
Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
My Mom told me the same thing, she cant can on her elecric stovetop, either. They have the flat glass surface, could that be why???????
Last year, they canned peppers on there propane grill outside. Wish I could have seen it, but I stayed FAAAARRR away, get my Mom and Dad cooking together and theres always a ton of "fire", lol!!!!!!!!

SALLY 's GIRL, is that a beautiful black bulldog?????? I love the tongue hanging out, so cute!
Carrie Anne, No, Josie is a Black Pug, 5yrs old, the lady we got her from said she was not a lap dog...guess what...I can't sit down with out that little lady begging to be held.
That dog on the sofa is a Pug? She looks just like my Boston Terrier.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:01 AM

I wish I knew how. sniff
Old 08-02-2010, 10:36 AM

I have seen several posts on here about canning vegetable soup. Would someone tell me how to do it?