Does anyone like to Can

Old 08-02-2010, 02:10 PM

I put all my veggies in a large pot. everything,corn,g beans,peas,tomatoes,tom. juice, any left over roast,any kind of meat really that we like. potatoes,onions, mushrooms ,what ever you want in it. I even put rice or noodles in at the last few minutes. bring all to a boil,add salt to tast, garlic if ;you like. see what I mean by everything?.lol. Put in jars, and pressure according to the veggie that requires the longest pressure time. Oh yes put carrots in too. If I uss meats that takes the longest pressure time. If I dont use meats it usually requires only about 40 min. to pressure for quarts. less for pints. Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by jolo
I put all my veggies in a large pot. everything,corn,g beans,peas,tomatoes,tom. juice, any left over roast,any kind of meat really that we like. potatoes,onions, mushrooms ,what ever you want in it. I even put rice or noodles in at the last few minutes. bring all to a boil,add salt to tast, garlic if ;you like. see what I mean by everything?.lol. Put in jars, and pressure according to the veggie that requires the longest pressure time. Oh yes put carrots in too. If I uss meats that takes the longest pressure time. If I dont use meats it usually requires only about 40 min. to pressure for quarts. less for pints. Hope this helps.
Yup! I did my soup in a hot water bath (no meat) and in 70 min, all my lids popped ( I love that sound, it makes me smile!), then I finished up 5 pints of blueberry jam, and with in 15 min, again, I smiled, all lids popped! Today was a good day! :thumbup:
Old 08-02-2010, 02:55 PM

Canning? You bet! I learned about 13 years ago when we moved to the mountains. A few of the native (local) women took me under wing and taught me most of what I needed to know. Then I went to our County's Agriculture Extension Agency and pick up several booklets,etc.
By the way, it was at the Ext. Office where I first laid eyes on a FeatherWeight sewing machine. There was a room full of ladies sewing away on them!!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 AM

Does anyone know if homemade vegetable soup (no meat) can be canned without a pressure cooker?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel
I wish I knew how. sniff
I'm sure all of us would be willing to help. What would you like to can?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:24 PM

Jshep, you can water bathe it but it takes a lone time. I dont know how long, i would say at least an hour. CAll your county extention agent and see if they can give you some recipes. or even look it up on the internet, I know this method was done way before pressure cookers. Jo
Old 08-20-2010, 01:33 PM

Does anyone know if homemade vegetable soup (no meat) can be canned without a pressure cooker?

Well, I'd pressure can it. The "Ball Blue Book, Guide to home canning, freezing & dehydration", says to pressure can your Veggie soup. First bring all to a boil for five minutes, THEN process Pints for ONE HOUR! Quarts for ONE HOUR & 15 min!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
I love to can. Made a huge mistake buying a glass top stove. You cannot use a pressure cooker/canner on them. Bought the darn thing in the winter and by the time I realized I couldn't use it for canning it was too late. Now I have to freeze my vegetables and am saving for a gas range. I still can fruits in a water bath.
HOLY COW I did not know this about the glass top stoves. That is such a drag!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:22 PM
SC

You're not supposted to use canners on glasstop stoves??? Really? I canned lots of veggie soup last summer on mine. Canned lots at my mother's on her glasstop also. ?????
Old 08-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by SC
You're not supposted to use canners on glasstop stoves??? Really? I canned lots of veggie soup last summer on mine. Canned lots at my mother's on her glasstop also. ?????
My neighbor used a Pressure Canner on her glass top stove and it busted in half. She bought a new glass top stove, and thinking it was a fluke...did it again!!! This time she bought a stove with "regular" electric burners. She's canned her whole life and wasn't about to quit.