Does anyone like to Can

Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 PM

I love to can. Made a huge mistake buying a glass top stove. You cannot use a pressure cooker/canner on them. Bought the darn thing in the winter and by the time I realized I couldn't use it for canning it was too late. Now I have to freeze my vegetables and am saving for a gas range. I still can fruits in a water bath.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by OkieTwister54
I've got a large garden. This is my 3rd year to can. Lots of
jams,green beans,beats,tomatos,chow chow,squash,and of
course. Sweet,Dill,Sour,Watermellon pickles.
Gota feed the family this winter :D
How long are the Jams and Jelly safe to eat after they have been canned
Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 PM

I canned everything for years and years. Then my boys grew up, moved out, and I found quilting! I still put up tomatoes and make jam but not much else.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:30 PM

I used to can everything I could get my hands on. All our veggies, pickles,juices, jams, salmon, venison, pumpkin.... you name it! Over 500 qts a year! We had 6 kids ( 4 from husbands first marriage & our 2) Plus it seemed we always had tons of company. That was back in the 70's & 80's. I even made all our own breads & baked goods. Looking back I had alot of fun doing it for the family but I don't know how I had so much energy. I also worked full time.
Now days I don't even cook except on rare occasions.LOL
Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 PM

I love to also. Unfortunately I will be in school fulltime again when the season comes on. I hope to have lots of 'maters to put up this year. Waiting to see if there will be peaches. We freeze alot too.

Grandma Nan - How come you can't use a glass stove top for pressure cooker/canner? I have one and alway's use both on it. Just takes a bit longer to boil.

Lol, my DS came two weeks ago and drinks lots of hot tea during the day. She likes her water boiled on stovetop not micro. She kept wandering what was wrong with my stoveand why wouldn't the water boil. I reminded her she had gas I have electric.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by amazon
I love to can & freeze and dry foods. We have a large late garden. We have planted tomatoes, greenbeans, butterbeans, peas,squash( yellow crookneck & zucchini)cucumbers, okra- my fav. and pintos and popcorn. Oh, and watermelons. We also have apples ,peaches, pears,blackberries, blueberries and grapes. We also plan on planting some fall onions and lettuce & mustard, radishes. So you can see I don't have a lot of time to quilt now.Have you ever planted pintos? and cooked or canned them green?They are better than dried pintos.Good to here from a fellow canner.
I wanna come live with you! :thumbup:

My garden didn't do anything this year. Last year I had tomatoes out the wazoo! I want to learn how to can, but methinks I need some product first!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 AM

I tried 'canning' dill pickles using the water bath method for the very first time this year.

Anyone have suggestions for good dill pickle canning?
Old 07-15-2010, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
I love to can. Made a huge mistake buying a glass top stove. You cannot use a pressure cooker/canner on them. Bought the darn thing in the winter and by the time I realized I couldn't use it for canning it was too late. Now I have to freeze my vegetables and am saving for a gas range. I still can fruits in a water bath.
Why can't you can on glass top stove? That's the kind of stove I have. I can tomatoes..just cook them in soup kettle, put in pint jars and seal.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

My Mom told me the same thing, she cant can on her elecric stovetop, either. They have the flat glass surface, could that be why???????
Last year, they canned peppers on there propane grill outside. Wish I could have seen it, but I stayed FAAAARRR away, get my Mom and Dad cooking together and theres always a ton of "fire", lol!!!!!!!!

SALLY 's GIRL, is that a beautiful black bulldog?????? I love the tongue hanging out, so cute!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:26 AM

I'm a city girl, Can? Well I can open a can. LOL