Does anyone like to Can

Old 07-15-2010, 05:42 AM

I am an amateur "canner." I came to this like I did quilting -- it seems like a great old-fashioned hobby that is made easy with modern equipment. I don't have a garden (cannot grow anything in our tiny yard in 100 degree Dallas weather), but I buy produce from a local store and make cinnamon pickles, watermelon rind pickles, and jalapeno pepper jelly. The latter is soooooooooo easy and delicious. These canned goodies are also the Christmas gifts I share with family and close friends.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I have only done water bath canning. I have never done pressure canning. Last year we got tomato blight in this area so I got nothing all my beautiful tomatoes caught the blight. I was so angry because they traced the blight to tomato plants bought at big box stores but it is a fungus that spreads on the wind. So even though I bought all my plants from a local greenhouse that starts all their own from seed I still caught it from neighbors who bought theirs at big box grrrrr! This year my back didn't allow me to put in a garden but I may just buy my tomatoes at the farm market and put them up. I have also done jams, salsa (both red and green), corn relish and sweet hot pickle relish. I too did not know you could not pressure can on a glass stove top. I have one and have had no trouble with my big water bath canner.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:04 AM

How do you make Pepper Jelly? It's very good - I've tasted it, but I don't know how.

Also, I've been looking to make some sliced cucumber, onion, and beet mixture in vinger that my mom used to make when I was a kid. I don't know how, and don't even know where to look. I tried to do it myself a couple of times, but it was awful :( I have an overabundance of cucumbers still coming in, and need to do something with them.

Thanks for whatever, if any, help you can give me.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:13 AM

I make jam, strawberry freezer jam, raspberry freezer jam, and seedless blackberry jam. Some years I make pear butter, and last year I made pepper jelly -its so easy and wonderful as an appetizer. But I've never canned veggies, or fruits.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:19 AM

Here's my recipe for Pepper Jelly. I got the recipe from the Dallas Morning News and used it many times -- very easy! The jelly is very mild. If you like hot, then add the seeds of 2-3 jalapenos and that will spice up the mixture for sure.

PEPPER JELLY

Makes 6 half pints + a little extra

6 c. extra-fine sugar
1 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
6 medium-large fresh jalapenos, remove seeds and veins, finely chopped (wear rubber gloves)
1 (6-ounce) package Certo brand pectin (don’t even THINK about using any other brand, the jelly will not set up with any other brand)

Combine sugar, vinegar and peppers in a large pot set over medium-high heat. Stir continuously, bringing mixture to a full-rolling boil. Boil for 5 to 6 more minutes, stirring constantly.

Remove pot from stovetop and let sit 5 minutes, undisturbed. Stir in Certo. Ladle jelly into jars immediately (use a canning funnel). Put lids on jars and process for 15 minutes.

Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:33 AM

I don't can much now because I am alone. When we lived in Oregon I nearly canned myself crazy as there was so much wonderful produce and salmon. To the lady with the glass top stove, we use to can in a sheltered outside area with a three burner Coleman stove. It worked fine. We would go to coast in our rv and can in the campground. Nothing like homecanned tuna and salmon. Used a small 7 qt pressure cooker. I have one that will do 24 quarts. Left it at home but it comes in handy for greenbeans, etc. Quit freezing much as have had too many power outages. We imported a propane refrigerator for emergencies from Brazil a few years ago. They don't make them here anymore.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:10 AM

I used to can, but, now just DH and I. I canned tomato, made salsa, made pickles, corn relish, made homemade jelly
Old 07-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

I used to. Now that I have gone to work full time I don't even have a garden.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:35 PM

I love to can too! Pressure and water bath, Have two of each, one set was given to me from my hubby's family when his grandma passed away. We have a smaller, later garden this year so won't be canning as much as usual. Our weather was colder later than normal. Normally we can corn, carrots, beets, beans, tomatoes, apples, and lots of jellies raspberries, grapes, apple, strawberry, and salsa's. Freeze rhubarb, zucchini and carrots for bars and cookies. Actually, we have quite a bit left so not having the bigger garden this year won't be bad. Do love them fresh tomatoes though.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:37 PM

I also can . My girl friend told me on monday that for christmas she wanted my pepper jelly instead of another kind of gift. I use differnt peppers in mine for a more colorfull jelly