Does anyone like to Can

Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 AM

I have canned all my life. Now I just do jams & peppers. When mom & dad had a big garden they always had cream peas. You have never tasted anything so good. You could make a meal out of peas, cornbread & a little ham. When I get moved to the country next year I'm going to have a pea patch to beat the band. Will have to fight the dear but will be worth it. Deer love peas. So I will be back at it full force.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jshep
I don't know how to can, but would love to learn. I had my first garden this year and it has done wonderful. Gave most of the stuff away. Some I froze. I have always heard pressure canners are dangerous. Is that so? Wish all you canners on here would teach us newbies how to can like the quilters are teaching the newbies how to quilt. I am also learning to quilt and love it. So all of you canners out there, how about teaching us how to do it?
I'd advise you to start small. My family and I split up in a peach orchard and picked over 300 pounds of peaches in less than 20 minutes. I thought I'd never see the end of them. I found some marvelous recipes that year though - I had to get creative!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
My Mom told me the same thing, she cant can on her elecric stovetop, either. They have the flat glass surface, could that be why???????
Last year, they canned peppers on there propane grill outside. Wish I could have seen it, but I stayed FAAAARRR away, get my Mom and Dad cooking together and theres always a ton of "fire", lol!!!!!!!!

SALLY 's GIRL, is that a beautiful black bulldog?????? I love the tongue hanging out, so cute!
better pic of Josie
Attached Thumbnails attachment-76101.jpe  
Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 AM

Canners aren't like what our grandmas had. They are alot easier to use now days. Just read the instructions. Don't be scared of it.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:47 AM

Electric stoves aren't real good for canning as you can burn out the coils. My mom had to replace hers several times. I bet it would be good if you could get a propane burner outside to use. At least it wouldn' heat up the house so.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:47 AM

radishes, lettuce?????
Old 07-16-2010, 10:50 AM

Love to can but since it's just me now, it isn't worth putting out a garden - that was my husband's love anyway. I'd rather be sewing.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:52 AM

Ok guys. You have about talked me into it. Does anyone know how to can poke salad? I freeze most of my meats and veggies, but I would rather can some because I think they would keep longer.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:01 AM

I love to can tomatoes and blackberry jam. Also peach, orange, nectarine, and strawberry preserves. Just tose things tho. And I make tons of them. I find it very relaxing and stress relieving.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:48 AM

I like canning. I do dilled beans, regular beans, tomato salsa, pickled beets, zucchini relish, calico pickle relish. This year I want to make spaghetti sauce. Oh yes, and blueberry chutney. I only do small batches, but love having those beautiful jars on my shelves. I try to do something new each year.