Does anyone like to Can

Old 07-17-2010, 03:44 AM

I gave up canning a few years ago but still have a garden. Give a lot of it away.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
Electric stoves aren't real good for canning as you can burn out the coils. My mom had to replace hers several times. I bet it would be good if you could get a propane burner outside to use. At least it wouldn' heat up the house so.
Well DUHHHHHH = why didn't I think of that? Great idea!
Now where can I get a used propane burner?
Old 07-17-2010, 04:45 AM

I admire anyone who cans and freezes fruit and vegetables. That is a lot of work, but the rewards are worth it. I use to do some freezing, but never canned. Really futile though as my family does not like fruits or vegetables. Really not worth it to do all that work for one person.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by jolo
My garden did not do well this year, not enough tomatoes,will have to buy,green beans also. Peppers,all kinds ,okra and peas did well,and corn, Eggplant went wild.
I lost all my squash plants. They bloomed all over the place & put on a squash as big as your thumb with a blossom but would never grow anymore. I noticed the plant had cracks in it so I pulled one up & cut open. Had all these big worms in side. Guess they were eating it from the inside out. Really gross. Was hoping for zucchini out the wazoo but nary a one. Mom said she had heard a lot of people were having trouble with squash this year. Sorry for you too. DH loves summer tomatoes.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:05 AM

Oh my yes.. I can for my DH an I, I also can for my DMIL and she likes lots and lots of stuff.. she'd prefer to never eat anything commercially canned, and I also can for my DD and her family.. She helps me some. I can hundreds of pints and quarts every summer.. At the beginning I dread it.. come winter I love it. So I'll keep doing it.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:12 AM

I enjoy canning. We plant way more tomatoes and cucumbers than we can eat over the summer so we can process them for winter. The rest of the garden is small, just to be able to enjoy the fresh taste of lettuce, radishes and the like. I make crabapple jelly from our tree, it has 2 kinds of crabs on it. The original owners of the land had 5 kinds on it at one time, but the bears have damaged it over the years. Spiced Crabapple Jelly is wonderful on toast or with meat. I also like to make other fruit jams but do small batches because it is only dh and me now.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:37 AM

Boo-hoo! I just pulled up all my tomato plants. They've been in the ground since early May and not even a blossom. First time that this has happened to me. I have always had good luck, but this year is a bust.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:37 PM

today I made cucumber relish,chopped the ingredients for chow chow it has to soak overnight so will do that tomorrow and have the ingreients for Dixie relish to cut and do tomorrow it has to set overnight also. That is all the relish I am making this year. Will have to do Crowder peas Monday. Okra every day now. Still no tomatoes.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by texas granny
Originally Posted by OkieTwister54
I've got a large garden. This is my 3rd year to can. Lots of
jams,green beans,beats,tomatos,chow chow,squash,and of
course. Sweet,Dill,Sour,Watermellon pickles.
Gota feed the family this winter :D
How long are the Jams and Jelly safe to eat after they have been canned
Go to the Ball or Kerr canning site. jellies processed will last for two years, easy. I try to make only enough for one season, but get carried away most of the time. once I bought a steamer for the fruit, there is no limit except the fruit I can buy. usually give most of it away. If you love to make jellies--invest in a steamer, you do not have to squooz the fruit, just put it in top, steam for and hr or so & you have this beautiful, seedless juice that you can freeze to use later or make into jelly right away. love to see all
that jelly sparkling in the jars ! RUHBARB--last year I found out
that rhubarb in with the fruit in the steamer makes wonderful jelly with just a touch of tart. even froze the juice from just rhubarb to add to my blackberry & plum juices. and I don't process jelly any more in the canner. have the jars boiling hot, lids, & cooked jelly. pour, seal and they are OK. turn over 5 minutes after turning
lids tight. I use the 1/2 pint jars, but for a family, you can use pint jars.wooo-sorry for running on--I am such a fan of people learning to make their own jellies. I use the low-sugar pectin, Sure-Jell. smitty
Old 07-17-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
Originally Posted by Jshep
Ok guys. You have about talked me into it. Does anyone know how to can poke salad? I freeze most of my meats and veggies, but I would rather can some because I think they would keep longer.
I would think you would do it like turnip greens or spinach. Doesn't it have to be cooked & rinsed several times to get the toxins out. I can't remember. Probably cook then put into hot jars & process maybe 30 minutes. Maybe somebody else knows.
My Mom used to can chicken (add to noodles)pheasant, beef, etc.
I think you have to do meat in a pressure cooker. Ball & Kerr must both have websites. Another place to check for safety, etc is your local county extension agent. they also check pressure cookers--free smitty