does anyone sew scrubs?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:55 AM

Permanent press material is always nice.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 AM

I've been making my hubby's scrubs for years. He first started wearing them when he was a surgery tech. His favorite pair are ones made from "Garfield" fabric I found a few years ago. I have "Seattle Seahawks" fabric waiting to be made into scrubs for him soon.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by IngeMK
Originally Posted by SherriB
I tried to make some for DD but just could not figure out the neck facing. I gave up on it. She now has to wear royal blue scrub bottoms. I may end up making her some bottoms if she can't find any reasonable. I know pants would be easy to make, just like a pj bottom.
here's a tutorial for the neck line for you :D does that look like the best way to tackle it?

http://katiekadiddlehopper.blogspot....on-scrubs.html
Thank you so much for posting that link!!! I will use it and give making scrub tops for DD again. We bought so much fabric and can finally use it!!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:44 AM

I have made a few dozen over the past 10 years. I have made them for 2 daughters, and have sold many. I have 1 girl that keeps calling me to make her scrub tops. She says they fit better and last longer that the ones she buys. As has been stated most patterns are pretty much alike so any will work. I have used both McCalls and Simplicity. The front neck is a little tricky but once you master it they are quick to make. I always use bias tape on the back neck, buy packaged or make my own, depending on the fabric I am using. I have used LQS fabric, JoAnns or Walmart but prefer the best quality I can afford at the time. Cotton blends do work nice but are hard to find. I usually buy seasonal fabric on sale and save for the next year. I can sell all I can make, trouble is I would rather be quilting.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:24 AM

I made many for my nurse daughter. Any fun fabric - cotton - worked. I copied the pattern over onto heavy interfacing and used and reused and reused it. The pattern is still in great shape - a simplicity pattern.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 AM

Our Dollar General has them ready-made. Bottoms are $8 and I believe tops are also. Can't buy the fabric for that price and you don't have to make them. I buy the pants for myself. The fabric is really nice and they are so comfortable. Marge L.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:08 PM

Simplicity (simple) pattern and cotton fabric.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:18 PM

Thanks for that great tutorial. I don't but I might someday.It will be nice to have.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:48 PM

I just wear homemade ones. I use regular cotton fabric for the tops- just make sure you can't see thru it. For the jackets I usually use bottom weight fabric. As far as the pattern, for me it was trial & error. I tried several different ones until I found 1 I like. After that I traced it out onto posterboard so I didn't wear out the original. I've gotten lots of compliments because they're just a little different that the store bought ones. Good luck & have fun with it.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 AM

On the scrub tops I make I sew the inside V together at about two inches up across it (after I have folded and ironed flat) The edges on the front I iron under 5/8 (seam allowance) then I lay the V under the front V of scrub (do this before you sew side seams) and it lays flat to sew a line up and down the V, I used to have a small business going selling them at the office I worked at, work of mouth had me traveling to other offices on my off days, and people at the hospital put in orders. I mainly did holiday tops they were much prettier fabric than the manufacture put out.