Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does anyone wear panty hose anymore? >
  • Does anyone wear panty hose anymore?

• Does anyone wear panty hose anymore?

Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 AM

Yes, I still wear pantyhose to work sometimes...sometimes not. It depends on the humidity - last week it was almost 100 degrees every day, so I did wear dresses to work without hose (and my legs are not the greatest-looking either - but when it gets that hot, I just can't stand the hose). If I wear dresses without hose they are a longer length, so not as much of my leg shows, and I do wear bike shorts underneath. Depending on the dress, I will also wear a half slip. And to whoever asked - they are becoming more and more difficult to find! The younger girls in my office think we older folks who wear hose/slips are totally nuts. ("Off our Rockers" I guess, like Betty White's show!) Most of them would never dream of wearing either one.
    Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 AM

I absolutely HATE wearing pantyhose! That said, you will rarely find me wearing a dress or skirt (especially in the winter) for that very reason. I do, however, have very nice-looking pants suits. Pantyhose SHOULD be worn for all occasions that are considered *formal* or where professional wear is required. Unfortunately, many young people seem to have NO idea how to dress appropriately these days. And, I have noticed pairs of pantyhose are sometimes difficult to locate in stores these days. I think society, in general, has become much more casual as far as dress goes.
    Old 07-23-2013, 12:50 PM

I wear panty hose because...
    1.My feet swell so bad without them my feet look like Porky Pig feet
    2.My legs are not 20 years old or 30, or 40
    3.I think it looks bad on most people I don't care the age
    4.When I was growing up the only ladies that didn't wear nylons/panty hose wear street walkers AKA Prostitutes
    I wish they were more comfortable but I still wear them
    Old 07-23-2013, 04:47 PM

I'm 33 and have never really got into pantyhose. I find them itchy and uncomfortable and really don't know what their purpose is, and probably would not wear them even in winter. I don't know why it would be unprofessional IMHO. As long as you have nice professional clothes don't see what the difference pantyhose makes
    Old 07-23-2013, 05:04 PM

I was laughing as I read the comments. Here in Japan, women want their legs to look whiter, so they usually wear pantyhose much lighter than their skin color. I have blindingly white legs, so I can get by in the summer with no panty hose, but people just think I found the ultimate white stockings!
    Old 07-23-2013, 05:24 PM

Nope....I don't wear them anymore either. I use Jergens natural glow foam to get a nice tan on my legs. I like it because it doesn't yellow.
    Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 PM

Have to wear compression hose (previous DVT's) I wear them every [email protected] a pair!
    Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 PM

I am quit sure panty hose were invented by a man that hosted a secret hatred for women. I avoid them whenever possible and I am 66. I am retired and that is one of the perks of not dressing for work every day. I guess men have to wear ties to be "professional".
    Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by nygal
    I don't wear pantyhose and I don't wear skirts or dresses anymore. I prefer slacks and a beautiful top.
    Me too.
    Old 07-24-2013, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas
    IMHO: pantyhose are the work of the devil!
    I agree! Can't stand them. Used to wear them when I was younger but only because I had to! I'm an odd shape. I could never find a pair that fit. Even in my slim days, my legs were big because I'm big boned. I had to buy queen size just to get them wide enough for my legs then I had a lot of excess at the top! Since I retired, no more pantyhose.

I think that now adays women look very professional in a tailored suit/slacks - no need for pantyhose. Besides, a lot of women forget how to sit properly when wearing a skirt that's above the knees - Isn't it against the law to flash people? LOL