Does it bother you?

Old 10-09-2011, 04:37 AM

Well, being from Louisiana and now living in Georgia.... ha!~don't get me started. We have LOTS of people come here from other places and drive up our taxes and such and tell us how we are suppose to live and try to save us from ourselves. Gosh, don't know how we've ever made it so long here without them!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:11 AM

I am a Tennessee hillbilly. LOL
Old 10-09-2011, 05:25 AM

Oh do I know what you mean. Out here in Nebraska they still think we have no electricity, or running water, and often ask if we still use an "out house"!! One lady I know even put a small outhouse out behind her brand new home, (its the garden tool shed) but its amazing how many people do not even recognize that the original type building "was" THE OUT HOUSE!
Its amazing how dumb some people are. I agree with the one post they do not know where there food comes from. They think its made in a "food factory".
Remember some years ago, when a farm organization put a beef cow in a pen in a big mall back East. A "fancy" woman in her fur coat looked down her nose at it. Said her meat came from the meat market. The guy asked where she thought the meat came from. She said the meat factory. He pointed out just where the steaks came from and she accused him of lying. Amazing how the dumb walk among us. And they claim to be highly educated!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:33 AM

Clinging to Christian religeon and hugging my guns here in WV. Signed: transplanted hillbilly redneck.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:39 AM

I absolutely know what you mean! I live in Oklahoma and am a teacher. I was in Boston one year attending the National Council of Teacher's of Mathematics conference and was talking with a gentleman at a bus stop. He actually thought that we still "put all of the Indians up" in TeePees! And he was serious!!!! Of course, I had to have some fun with it, so I went on to tell him how they actually let them teach the "white kids" in the public schools...I wish I had a picture of his face! Then I made a show of looking all around me and then whispered to him..."as a matter of fact, my kids are half-breeds." I thought he was going to pass out right there! After he recovered, I assured him that the Indian culture is just a part of our heritage and that no, there were no TeePees anymore! :lol:
Old 10-09-2011, 05:40 AM

I can't understand why Oregon is so hard to pronounce. I think I can pronounce all the other states.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:43 AM

Don't you know that Florida is always too hot? Especially in the summer, when it is unbearable? Okay, keep thinking that, and stay up there in the north where people are dropping dead from the heat, and we are cooler than you are.

We have family reunions, in August, up north, and it is REALLY HOT up there.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:49 AM

Yes, I was asked if we still fight Indians (of South Dakota) from a Librarian in New York!!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by tweezy50
Has anyone run into comments about their state that clearly show a misconception of the area?
I'm from the South. We are not all rednecks, illiterate, or live in trashy trailers. It seems if you have a southern accent people automatically think you're just a little bit stupid. My favorite show on TV is Closer because Kyra Sedgwick and the writers make that really work for the character.

What I really get offended about are the commercials on TV. When they want to make a point about someone or something being dumb they give it a southern accent - main case in point is that really dumb "I'm just a pothole" commercial.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 AM

Ohio is known as the Buckeye state because the only trees we can grow are Buckeye's -- I was told this by a college educated marine- Believe it or not we grow all kinds of trees here