Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does Social Media make you even MORE depressed? >
  • Does Social Media make you even MORE depressed?

• Does Social Media make you even MORE depressed?

Old 05-29-2024, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    I understand how the whole "influencer" thing works. I just question why so many young people spend so much time watching people online and what they do instead of having their own real life?
    one could say the same thing about quilters who watch endless YouTube tutorials or Missouri star quilt videos with Jenny Doan. Why are t those people doing something better with their own time and quilting their own projects. I wonder could you ask some young people and find out why?[/QUOTE]

Well, I rarely watch quilting videos. The only time I do is to learn how to do something. I really don't care enough about what others do to ask.
    Old 05-31-2024, 05:13 PM

I do think that just watching videos is addiction but I like them when I want to know how to do a certain thing.
    Old 06-01-2024, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3
    I do think that just watching videos is addiction but I like them when I want to know how to do a certain thing.
    They are so useful for that! For years I could not set the "minutes" on my car radio/clock. Despite reading the manual. I came inside, watched a video, and voila! I could do it. And the comment section was full of other people who had the same problem.
    Old 06-01-2024, 03:16 AM

As with everything else, we all have our own opinion.

This board is social media, right? What makes this more acceptable than other sites?

I use FB, IG and ND (Next Door). Many small businesses now use FB as their "webpage"; it's free rather than having to pay for a registered site. I follow a couple of quilt groups, a couple of pattern designers, a birding group and a local group, and find all worthwhile for inspiration, ideas and information.

On FB, my circle of friends is small, and I actually consider them friends. Many people, especially younger folks, have hundreds and hundreds of "friends". They aren't actually friends, and often aren't even acquaintances. That, I do not understand. I probably have more people who have requested to be friends than actual friends. Former co-workers that I never spoke with, people who know people I might know, etc.

There is so little on TV to watch that I do watch YouTube videos. I don't know how TY decides what to put in my feed, but I've binge watched some interesting people. Like a TV in the background, it might be on while I'm doing something else, so rarely do I actually dedicate time to watching. I've watched a truck driver, a retired couple who live in a van with their 2 cats; they traveled all over South America for years and are now traveling through Europe, a beach comber who lives not far from our winter home, etc. Two of my favs are Kate's Homely House East of the Sea and Karen of Just Get it Done.

Some people like to read, some garden, some play online games or surf the web. We all get to make our own choices, and even if I don't understand them, I'm not here to judge them.