Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does your doctor bill for more than one visit on same day? >
  • Does your doctor bill for more than one visit on same day?

• Does your doctor bill for more than one visit on same day?

Old 07-23-2011, 11:57 AM

Have not that particular situation but when my DH was in the hospital and later moved to the nursing home, the bill had him in the hospital for 2 days after being moved. Believe me, that was straightened out in a hurry. Good thing I had papers to back me up. Hard to believe people will do such things. Do they think we don't pay attention to their shifty going-on? Makes me angry. Marge L.
    Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 PM

Usually the MD has a contract with the insurance company that say they can bill that way. Well visits are usually covered 100% and if anything else is wrong they are able to charge for that also. Well visiits are usually just for that a well check up. I worked in the medical field for 20 years and it doesn't' seem right but it is legal.
    Old 07-23-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by barri1
    You are 100% wrong.. It is legal.. Medicare does not allow physicals, and can not be billed for it..
    Barri
    My husband gets a physical and the only coverage he has is Medicare. Does it make a difference if he is on disability and not retirement medicare?
    Old 07-23-2011, 12:12 PM

I am very aware that physicians get low reimbursement from insurance companies. You see what they get when the Insurance company sends a statement. I can understand that if they can bill that way and get more reimbursement that it would be to their advantage, esp those with a small practice. But with what we pay for our insurance I certainly expect to have my office visits covered as the plan indicates, which is a 20.00 copay only. If I have to continue to pay for an visits not covered because of double visit billing, then why bother to even have insurance. I think it is obvious that the health care state of affairs is a problem for many of us.
    Old 07-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Sounds to me like your getting ripped off. I agree, check with your insurance company. If you ask about more than one thing, do you get billed for each separate answer? :thumbdown:
    Old 07-23-2011, 12:21 PM

This sure sounds fishy to me - I would most definitely report it to my insurance company. Sounds like you should have a refund coming your way!!
    Old 07-23-2011, 12:27 PM

It seems wrong, and I had the same thing happen to me. Contacted our Human Resource Dept. and was told this is common practice. That was 3 years ago. The thought process is, if you didnt say anything during your well visit, then had to go back in, you would be charged for that appt., correct? If you 'talk' or 'ask' about issues, and no diagnosis was made or lab tests performed, etc., then generally they may not bill for another visit during your well visit. You can bring it up with your doctor and possibly be charged only for the well visit, but you would more than likely have to bring it up during that visit. It is all in the coding and remarks made by physicians for the medical records dept. Just saying what I was told.
    Old 07-23-2011, 12:38 PM

My Medicare allows for one physical per year. I make sure I get that once a year and my prescriptions for one year. But if you think the Drs rip you off start checking your medications. Picked mine up 3 months ago and it was $84.00 I asked if they had applied my insurance. No, they didn't realize I had insurance. Got the prescription and it show they billed my insurance company $296.00. I called their attention and they grabbed it back and said I was not supposed to get that paper. Maybe, this is an even bigger problem, overbilling on something we get monthly.
    Old 07-23-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2
    It seems wrong, and I had the same thing happen to me. Contacted our Human Resource Dept. and was told this is common practice. That was 3 years ago. The thought process is, if you didnt say anything during your well visit, then had to go back in, you would be charged for that appt., correct? If you 'talk' or 'ask' about issues, and no diagnosis was made or lab tests performed, etc., then generally they may not bill for another visit during your well visit. You can bring it up with your doctor and possibly be charged only for the well visit, but you would more than likely have to bring it up during that visit. It is all in the coding and remarks made by physicians for the medical records dept. Just saying what I was told.
    This was explained to you correctly. There have been so many comments all over the place about this topic, and many people seem to be very upset. I do medical billing for a living for physicians of many different specialties. The rules are complicated and ever-changing. If a client tries to bill for something that isn't allowed, we educate them as to how it needs to be done. There are too many regulatory and watchdog agencies out there, so it isn't worth it for physicians to commit fraud. If anyone has questions about their specific situation, I would be happy to answer them. Just PM me.
    Old 07-23-2011, 01:22 PM

No, Medicare is medicare.. Some patients have different parts of it.. Some only have hospital, some have office, and hospital, and some have Rx, office, and hospital..
    Barri