Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Does your post office allow stuffed Flat Rate Envelopes? >
  • Does your post office allow stuffed Flat Rate Envelopes?

• Does your post office allow stuffed Flat Rate Envelopes?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:02 AM

Wow...lucky some of you have such lenient post offices. I have a fabric website, and both of my local post offices deny me with the FRE with a slight bulge. One refused to take a package one day, and on another occasion, a customer at the receiving end had to pay the additional for the weight of the package and not the flat rate of $4.95 (from NY to CA) was almost double.

Needless to say, this is a joke...the rules of the post office should be followed the same in all states. I get along great with both post offices..I bake them cookies every once in a while. Hope that they lighten up a little again, as this is killing my international orders as well as my customers clearly across the country!
    Old 07-02-2011, 10:22 AM
    QKO

Originally Posted by apronlady
    Wow...lucky some of you have such lenient post offices. I have a fabric website, and both of my local post offices deny me with the FRE with a slight bulge. One refused to take a package one day, and on another occasion, a customer at the receiving end had to pay the additional for the weight of the package and not the flat rate of $4.95 (from NY to CA) was almost double.

Needless to say, this is a joke...the rules of the post office should be followed the same in all states. I get along great with both post offices..I bake them cookies every once in a while. Hope that they lighten up a little again, as this is killing my international orders as well as my customers clearly across the country!
    I don't think it's a matter of having lenient post offices. As long as you're following the rules, so should they. See my previous post, print out the page from their own manual, and show it to them.
    Old 07-02-2011, 10:24 AM
    Power Poster

Legal Size Priority Rate Envelopes -

There are two versions available - and the envelopes are the SAME size

The Flat Rate Priority Version - make sure it says Flat Rate on it!

The "other" one - and one has to pay by weight on that one
    Old 07-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Yes, I have had the same prob. They have a big pic of an overstuffed one with slash through it and the head person is picky, the other clerk is not. The head person who I have nicknamed as the B______ got on me yesterday for putting my mailing label over the seam in the top of the package. She said "we could lose the address that way". I did not reply but wanted to say, no way are you going to snoop in my package without destroying a label. HA HA HA This same B_____ lets the lines back up while she finishes her own business and does not even acknowledge her public waiting in line. This is a very small town!
    Old 07-02-2011, 10:46 AM

My PO's did not used to be picky, but they are no -- no bulge. They also restrict the weight of the largest FLB to 20 lbs, even though the limit is supposed to be higer.
    Old 07-02-2011, 12:53 PM

I took a really stuffed one to the post office & she took it but told me they weren't supposed to be stuffed. I said it says "if it fits it ships". So what's up with that idea?
    Old 07-02-2011, 01:22 PM

My SIL works at the post office and you would not believe what they accept for mailing, so I don't think it is a problem, I hear the post office is going to run out of money by the end of the year
    Old 07-02-2011, 01:31 PM

imagine if they went on strike and no mail for two weeks like Canada just went through.
    Old 07-02-2011, 01:51 PM

My local postoffice frowns on anything that makes her work! So, I just go to the neighboring town, where he is struggling keeping his little postoffice open - and he gives me no scruff about it- you know who gets my business! and we always have a great conversation! such a friendly guy too. Makes sending a package worthwhile just in having a friendly discussion with him while he puts his stamp of approval on it- and he is so honest ... no gimmicks with him.. it is sealed good - ship it!!!
    Old 07-02-2011, 02:37 PM
    Power Poster

The economy would tank for sure if the mail stopped. The UPS and FED EX would raise the prices so high no one could send anything. Fly by night services would pop up and the theft of goods would be staggering. I don't complain about mailing cost at the PO. It's a bargain compared to what we could end up with.