donut (spare) tire

Old 08-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tippy
First thing I do with a "new" vehicle is to locate the spare.. if it's one of those donuts, I go out and buy a new full sized tire and wheel and put it somewhere easy to get to.. I have made several cross country trips and have lived alone most of my life, so I want to know I have a "real tire" I can rely on if I need it.
Wise thing to do.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

I also got rid of my doughnut tire and bought a real one :wink:
Old 08-16-2009, 05:43 PM

i bought a real member ship to AAA. 8)
Old 08-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

You're right, it is called a doughnut. My DH was a mechanic at one time. I had a small pickup truck and it was UNDER the bed of the truck near the muffler. I did not know I had one for several years.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:34 AM

For the first time in probably 24 years we had a flat when we were coming home from church last week! DH found the spare in the trunk and a young jogger man and his wife stopped to talk with us (I knew the wife cuz we served together on several boards back when I was working) Long story shorter, Jogger Husband looked at my "gettin older" DH and offered to change it for us. We were thrilled since DH has been having severe back problems for over a year with PT, Chiropractor visits from 2 to 4 days a week for a couple months. God is good! ...so was the jogger! :-)
Old 08-20-2009, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers
For the first time in probably 24 years we had a flat when we were coming home from church last week! DH found the spare in the trunk and a young jogger man and his wife stopped to talk with us (I knew the wife cuz we served together on several boards back when I was working) Long story shorter, Jogger Husband looked at my "gettin older" DH and offered to change it for us. We were thrilled since DH has been having severe back problems for over a year with PT, Chiropractor visits from 2 to 4 days a week for a couple months. God is good! ...so was the jogger! :-)
Old 08-20-2009, 07:45 AM

DH says those donuts are only good for 50 miles and that you should drive no more than 50 MPH with one on.

My last flat was in our driveway! What luck that was.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:30 AM

Sorry ladies, I'm not with you on this subject. Know how to change a tire, have changed a tire (try to avoid this at all costs with maintenance checks), know where it is and how to crank it down from under trunk, tools under carpet in hidey hole, I have blanket in back of car for kneeling on or lying down if need to for that very thing should it ever happen, make sure my oil is done around 3000 - 4000 miles, check wiper fluid couple times a month, check tires once a month, buy new tires (usually once a year) when showing wear and tear (we have 42 curves between our home and main road, it is a one lane road, have to pull over to let others get by), have AAA premium after 20+ years with them, but, they can't alway's get there when I would like, and my dad and DH have alway's made sure we knew how to do things around the house because they aren't always around and someday we may have to do it ourselves. Totally agree with carrieg about the donuts. They are only meant for 50 miles, under 50 mph (my DH says 40 to be safe), and are only meant to be used once and discarded for safety sake. Ever had a blowout going 65 or even 30 MPH? Ain't a pretty piocture. We have had three people killed recently on the hiway due to poor tire conditions. Sorry for the soap box.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Sorry ladies, I'm not with you on this subject. Know how to change a tire, have changed a tire (try to avoid this at all costs with maintenance checks), know where it is and how to crank it down from under trunk, tools under carpet in hidey hole, I have blanket in back of car for kneeling on or lying down if need to for that very thing should it ever happen, make sure my oil is done around 3000 - 4000 miles, check wiper fluid couple times a month, check tires once a month, buy new tires (usually once a year) when showing wear and tear (we have 42 curves between our home and main road, it is a one lane road, have to pull over to let others get by), have AAA premium after 20+ years with them, but, they can't alway's get there when I would like, and my dad and DH have alway's made sure we knew how to do things around the house because they aren't always around and someday we may have to do it ourselves. Totally agree with carrieg about the donuts. They are only meant for 50 miles, under 50 mph (my DH says 40 to be safe), and are only meant to be used once and discarded for safety sake. Ever had a blowout going 65 or even 30 MPH? Ain't a pretty piocture. We have had three people killed recently on the hiway due to poor tire conditions. Sorry for the soap box.
Totally agree. In 47 years of marriage, DH has always done all these checks, Escept we don't buy new tires EVERY year, just when he decides we NEED to, and only ONCE had to change a tire - 45 year's ago when we were riding in my college roomie's car with her driving.