Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Dorothy's Hummingbirds. Crump, TN. 2010 season is over. We fed the hummingbirds 144 lbs of granulated sugar >
  • Dorothy's Hummingbirds. Crump, TN. 2010 season is over. We fed the hummingbirds 144 lbs of granulated sugar

• Dorothy's Hummingbirds. Crump, TN. 2010 season is over. We fed the hummingbirds 144 lbs of granulated sugar

Old 09-13-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pats8e8
    Wow, this is all fantastic, you are so good to take the time and money to feed these birds. We only have maybe 5 and they also fight at the feeders. I have 2 large feeders and 2 smaller ones. The small ones emty out quickly. How ever do you keep those feeders so clean and sparkly? I have to put vaseline on mine to keep the ants at bay, so they look grungy, but the birds don't seem to mind.
    You also must have a great camera to get those close up shots. Mine come out fuzzy from those tiny wings going so fast.
    Thanks so much for the pictures, they are great!
    Oh, another thing, I live in the desert, so don't take my feeders down, our few hummers stay all winter.
    Hi Feather3, Hi Pat.
    My camera is a Kodak EasyShare Z712 IS. It is an excellent camera. (My skills are lacking. I don't know how to pick and choose for the lighting. I am just happy with what I get.)
    I clean every feeder each time it comes off the feeder pole. I use the water hose sprayer and hose them (and me). You can see when the slime is gone, then your done.
    When it is hot and also when I have lots of birds I soak the feeders in a tub of water with 1/2 to 1 cup of bleach in the water. You will see the feeder holes turn white again. Any dark and they are not done soaking. You will also see white stringy stuff (like little spaghetti) in the water. When they come out of the tub I hose them until I feel I there is absolutely no bleach left. The smell tells it all.
    When I feel they don't need bleaching I just hose the daylight out of them.
    Ants:
    Ants won't normally cross water. I sunk my feeder poles in the ground. Dug out around the poles and started pouring mixed sack crete. Took a few trial and errors to keep it from leaking. If I had taken my time and done it right the first time it would have probably been fine but when I started the brilliant idea I had birds all over, couldn't keep the ants out long enough to let them feed so I was in a hurry to get it done. It was raining on me when I was doing the second one so I just wanted to get it done. I used so much sack crete my husband lifts them with the tractor to move them and they don't crack. I keep the bird baths filled with water and the ants don't go in them. Other birds and the squirrels love to play in the water until the hummingbirds come. Then they leave it alone. Even the dogs won't drink from them. I hose them out and refill them each time I fill the feeders. There is so much recycled sugar water in the bird baths the water is as thick as glue. After the birds leave I will bleach the bird baths and the other animals will drink from them until next season.
    My sister is outside of Houston, Tx. She has 2 hummingbirds now and the ants wouldn't leave the feeders alone. She took my birdbath idea and made this one. I think she is a genius. It looks like the bottom of a planter. Appears she put the feeder pole through the drain hole of the planter bottom and sealed it. I don't know what she used to seal it with but I will tell you when I know.
    I added the photos so you can download them to your hard drive.

My feeders hot tub and bird bath to keep the ants away.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]98289[/ATTACH]

I couldn't resist, I had to take some more closeups.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]98290[/ATTACH]

The birdbath my sister made to keep the ants away. She apologized she didn't have the date set on her camera. It was taken this weekend.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]98299[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-98284.jpe   attachment-98285.jpe   attachment-98286.jpe   attachment-98287.jpe   attachment-98294.jpe  

attachment-98361.jpe  
    Old 09-13-2010, 05:33 PM

WOW great close up shots. The stringy stuff in the nectar is caused by bacteria from the birds beaks. That's why they say to change them out every few days. Course in your situation you have so many feeding every few days may not be soon enough. Man how I wish I had as many Hummers as you do.

For those who can't do a set up like Dorthy, re the bird bath at the base of the feeders,.....place a ring of cooking oil, about an inch wide, around the pole a few inches off the ground. Ants won't cross the oil. I just use my finger to put it on & spread it around. You'll need to replace it now & then, as rain will eventually wash it off. Avoid putting anything like vaseline or oil close to where they'd land or sit, as it will gum up their feathers & they can not preen it off.

Oh Dorthy.....we're still getting a few passing thru here in PA. Checked my feeders today & they're down some from 2 days ago. So you should have more coming your way yet.
    Old 09-13-2010, 05:41 PM

Feather3, I'm really ready to be done!!!!!!!! :shock:
    Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 PM

I am East Tennessee and I have never seen that many hummingbirds. What on earth are you feeding them? We have a few each year, but never like you've got them. What fun! Thanks for the photos. I am thrilled to have seen them.
    Old 09-13-2010, 10:02 PM

I just want to Thank You for taking these wonderful pics & sharing. I really enjoy seeing all of your Hummers. I know it is work and an expense, but oh so much fun to watch them. I have never seen as many in one place as what you have! Bless your heart, I bet you are ready to be done! LOL Thanks again. I really love your pics.
    Old 09-13-2010, 10:51 PM

Wow again. That is a super idea, would never have thought of it. But my feeders are hanging from our porch and the ants go right up the wood and over to the feeders. So that is why I put vaseline where it will stop those pesky ants. But that's a super idea if we ever decide to put up a pole for more feeders.
    Thanks!
    Old 09-14-2010, 04:04 PM

Not to much action today. Not very many birds. The few I have are eating a lot. Visited today with a person whose mother lives somewhere near Crump. He said she had about 100 hummingbirds and most of them left Saturday.
    Old 09-14-2010, 04:19 PM

I just spray the bottom 6 inches of my feeder poles with Pam ( cooking spray). The ants will not cross it. Don't know why but it works. Gotta use that somewhere, I sure won't use it to cook with.
    Old 09-14-2010, 04:20 PM

have you had a lot of babies this year? We have 4 and they are so tiny you can just about see them.
    Old 09-14-2010, 09:39 PM

Oh your pictures are wonderful. They are so shiny and pretty they look wet. Thank you for caring about GODS creatures.Thanks for the great photos.