Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Dorothy's Hummingbirds. Crump, TN. 2010 season is over. We fed the hummingbirds 144 lbs of granulated sugar >
  • Dorothy's Hummingbirds. Crump, TN. 2010 season is over. We fed the hummingbirds 144 lbs of granulated sugar

• Dorothy's Hummingbirds. Crump, TN. 2010 season is over. We fed the hummingbirds 144 lbs of granulated sugar

Old 08-23-2010, 05:37 PM

My hummingbirds have arrived finally. i love to watch them.
    Old 08-23-2010, 06:37 PM

Good lord, woman, do you think you have enough feeders? LOL
    Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 PM

I read that if you use a 1:4 ratio of sugar to water, no stronger, you won't have problems with wasps. That's the ration I use and I don't have wasp problems at my feeder.

Originally Posted by Blue Bell
    Dorothy,
    I have 2 feeders and have lots of hummingbirds this year. But the past week or so, there have been bees/wasps at the feeders. Is there any way to discourage the bees? The hummers don't seem to mind them. We enjoy watching them.
    You must be very busy keeping those feeders filled. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 PM

We have 4 feeders up and have gone from just a few birds to dozens of birds - just swarming in birds here in southern MO. Guess they have come from the north? Filling up 4 feeders every day now!
    Old 08-24-2010, 02:49 AM

STill only 2 or 3 at a time yet. very few hummers so far this summer.
    Old 08-26-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
    Good lord, woman, do you think you have enough feeders? LOL
    :lol: :lol: No. I do not have enough feeders. Honestly, I do not. I need 10 to 20 more. I get them over time, year end closeouts. I had to retire 4 feeders this year. I like to have enough that I can hang clean water and let the dirty ones set in bleach water long enough to clean and sanitize. I have two feeder poles up now and will need to add a third one if all the birds arrive. My busiest year I fed a gallon for breakfast, another gallon for lunch and a 3rd gallon for dinner. If they all come I will be using 25lbs of sugar a week. This year I think I am going to be shy about 100 birds.
    I am not going to get anymore of the glass feeders. The small plastic ones are perfect. Much easier to wash, have more feeder holes and hold the same amount of sugar water as the glass feeders. I am feeding just under 2 gallons of sugar water a day now. I guess at 75 to 100 birds per gallon of water. If you have ever seen a bee hive that is what our yard looks like right now. Sitting by the feeders to take the photos sounds like I am in a wind tunnel. We had another group come in today. They were only about an inch long. Babies? I keep trying to get photos but I am not skilled and the birds disappear into the greenery.
    I would love to have others add their photos to my post. Please feel free to.

August 26, 2010 late evening
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]104961[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-104956.jpe   attachment-104957.jpe   attachment-104958.jpe   attachment-104959.jpe  
    Old 08-26-2010, 07:36 PM

THAT IS SO AMAZING.
    Old 08-26-2010, 08:00 PM

I can only dream to ever have this many Hummers visit us here! WOW! So far we have only had 3 or 4 birds this Season. And they disappeared when the temps began to hover around 100. Now I had 2 birds return to the feeders today. Since it has cooled down, I hope they will stay for awhile. I just love to watch them. You are very fortunate to have so many visit you!
    Old 08-26-2010, 08:16 PM

dsb...you have all the hummers at your place! Share with the rest of us!
    I have 4 that have finally found my 2 feeders. I had the feeders up because the neighbors said they were around, but hadn't seen any. So, I went to the dollar store and bought some fake roses and put them on the pole. Within days, I had hummers flying around, trying to feed off the flowers, but realized nothing was there. They will now feed from the feeders. They don't eat much since I think there are others in the area feeding them also, so I go thru about 1/2 gallon a week. I bought the food from Walmart, but will start making my own once they start coming more. Hubby says that next year we will put the feeders out early to attract them to ours and not the neighbors lol
    I love sitting outside watching them chase each other, just too funny!
    Old 08-27-2010, 01:34 AM

>>I have no solution for the bees and wasps. Someone said they are attracted to a certain color (?yellow?) feeder holes. I have had white and yellow plugs on the feeder holes and have not noticed a difference one over the other. I am not bothered right now with bees and wasps but at times they have been so bad I get stung opening the feeders to clean them. I did find a solution for the ants and was happy for that. Where the birds don't mind the bees and wasps, they will not feed from sugar water that has a bug or ants in it.