Down-sizing

Old 10-31-2011, 04:46 PM

I would think you would want that 4th bedroom. Think about in the future when you may have grandkids to spend the night.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I think I lot of people have already been forced to down-size - down to living in someone else's basement, or their car - if they are lucky enough to still have one - or back with their parents or other relatives.
That is a very sad truth!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
Wow...I think I'd like to down-size soon....we have 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and I have to share my sewing area with computers and hubby's stuff :) Yep, 'down-sizing' to 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms sounds good ;)
:thumbup: Right there with you!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:03 AM

College education or not it will take time to get a job in this economy. You will want her to be safe and comfortable and not feel like and outsider while she needs help. My niece in Indiana worked as an Intern during college due to a State grant that aims to keep talent in the State. She has a job at the same company right out of college. Something for your daughter to think about.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:05 AM

Wow. I only have 3 bedrooms now and I live in a house. I wouldn't want 4 bedrooms. The more you have the more you clean. Unless you get a lot of out of town guests I'd think smaller. You don't want to have to move again.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I don't have experience with this (yet!!!) but I would want the 4th bedroom for daughter. It is ***SO*** common for children to return home for extended periods of time, I think it would be less stressful all around to have a room available. It doesn't have to be a large room, but some privacy and separation are important for people to get along in close quarters. Later on (hopefully *much* later on!) it can serve as a room for live-in help or visiting grandkids.
If you make it too comfy she will stay! I say go with a fold out in the man cave. Downsizing means downsizing. If you are going to have four bedrooms thats not really downsizing.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:36 AM

Down sizing means not only reducing space but work. Half the square footage means less house work. DH and I downsized the house by half but found another we liked and unfortunately it has 2 acres to keep up. The area we moved to has 1/4 the taxes that our other home had and from a financial standpoint we are way ahead but the yard is more work. We looked for over 6 months and this was the only one we found that didn't require a complete gutting to come close to meeting our needs. We live in every room every day so no wasted space. Ann in TN
Old 11-01-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by margoee
You guys have helped me think about some things that never came to mind!! I love the idea of staying in this house and instead getting rid of unneeded things. Great idea. But, I think hubby and I really need a ranch (one-story) style place due to hip/knee issues. Oh, so confused!!! LOL
I wouldn't call this downsizing but rather selecting a better space for needs. My dh and I have been thinking about looking into a single floor plan "just in case" stairs become a problem as we age. And if one is moving might as well only move what is worth keeping to you. So I would say yes look for a 4 bedroom ranch, then you are prepared for an additional stay by your college child. Some do come and go a bit before being totally on their own. I also agree with a poster that condos rarely come in a 4 bedroom size.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by margoee
You guys have helped me think about some things that never came to mind!! I love the idea of staying in this house and instead getting rid of unneeded things. Great idea. But, I think hubby and I really need a ranch (one-story) style place due to hip/knee issues. Oh, so confused!!! LOL
Getting rid of "stuff" is an emotional experience. It is easiest to do it BEFORE you're in the middle of moving from a place where you have been comfortable to an unknown. My son is in the Army and they have a rule that if they haven't used it in a year, it goes. When is does come time for them to move, they don't have a lot of stuff to sort through and get rid of.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:17 AM

We too have talked "down sizing." After giving it a real serious wrangling, we have decided to stay put. We each have our hobbies and don't want to give up "our space." We too need a guest room that is ready at the drop of a hat. Seems in this market you get less for more, so for now at least this is our justification for hunkering down and enjoying our space. We have had some friends decide to down size that ultimately resulted in a second move to larger quarters....ha ha.....sometimes it is just best to stay put.