Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Downsizing from house to apartment? >
  • Downsizing from house to apartment?

• Downsizing from house to apartment?

Old 01-20-2018, 02:32 PM

3.5 years ago we downsized from a 4 bedroom 3600 sq. ft., 3 story house (with a 300 ft. walk up hill to take the garbage to the road or get the mail) to 3 bedroom 1500 sq. ft. 1 story. I was almost a cripple with my knees and we could not handle the stairs. We looked at condos and the biggest drawbacks we found was having to haul the garbage to the basement parking area of the large building and walking quite a distance to our assigned parking space (even though we had a handicapped card, we still could not get close to the elevator). We bought the smaller house, downsized as much as I had the energy for and put the rest in the garage where I am going through it as I have energy. We use one bedroom for an office and one for my sewing room -- our kids are nearby and if we have company they can either stay with DD or I will pay their hotel bill. We got rid of one car and it is just outside of the front door, the garbage gets moved about 10 feet to the curb and the mail is about 25 steps from the drive way and we have sidewalks if we want to take a walk. For us it was a great move.
    Old 01-20-2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by qltnmom
    I downsized from a 2100 sq foot home to a 1300 sq foot townhouse a year and a half ago and have no regrets. I piece in the extra bedroom and use the finished basement for my Handiquilter, stash and second DSM.

It snowed last today and I didn’t have to lift a finger to clear the driveway and sidewalk. This is the life. ��
    So, did kitty get to move with you?
    Old 02-06-2018, 06:56 AM

I have two friends whom downsized in the past 6 months. They moved from big Victorian homes to a senior apartment and love it! Nothing to take care of. They pay for one meal a day, don't have to cook, they get served, and made so many new friends (and don't even have to go out to see people). They say they don't miss their house of 50 years and love where they are living. Most senior places have libraries, a store, game rooms, and pubs.