Dritz vs Clover Products

Old 09-25-2017, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the info. Just went to the site and purchased some (you should be getting commission!) Can't wait to try them as I have a couple brands of self threading needles and they all shred the thread most of the time. Maybe it's me but this sounds really good.
Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
If you want a good, solid, easy to thread needle try the spiral eye needle. I've had a set for years now and I love them.

http://www.spiraleyeneedles.com/

as for Dritz/clover products as a whole ... I like them both. I love Dritz glass Head pins and I love my clover ripper. So I guess it depends on the specific product.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:43 AM

I have only used John James needles for self-threading and have been very happy with them. I like the package of assorted sizes.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Suz

Please try pushing your needles through a piece of soap. It will act as a lubricant and may solve your problem. I have done this when one refuses to pierce fabric. You don't say what fabric you were stitching but if it a real batik, you will have difficulty as the fabric is really dense owing to all the very hot water baths it encounters.

I am a John James user.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pudge
Crafty Pat - maybe you'll want to try what I did. Take a steel wool pad and wrap it in two layers of cotton fabric and sew the folded seams so it's covered. Use it like a pin cushion for the needles that don't work well and they get a little sharper. I picked up this tip on Nancy Zieman's site.

Maybe you have steel wool pads in the garage like I did. If I didn't, I'd use a Brillo pad.
Thank you. I will sure try this. I bought two packages and was about ready to throw them away.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:47 AM

Thanks, Suz. It was regular cotton I was trying to sew. I believe the Dritz needles are made from inferior metal. I've read good things about John James needles so I could try them. I'm waiting to try the new spiral eye needles I ordered.

Oh, and I had forgotten about the soap bar tip. That would work I'm sure.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:29 AM

I ordered needles from 'spiraleye' on 24th, they arrived in the mail yesterday. Fast shipping, and reasonable. A while back I considered the self threading machine needles at Joanns on line, but the shipping was $8 and I would not pay that! Have not used the spiraleyes yet, but anxious to check out the performance of the machine needles in my vintage machines.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I got mine yesterday and tried it out last night on some hand work- nice!!!!!!!