Earthquake just happened

Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 AM

Was a fun day here in Virginia Tuesday! Dog didn't know which way to go and neither did I. We were home alone DH was fishing three hours away. Everyone was trying to call here but no lines available to get through. Scary, Yes. When DH came home at 7:00 didn't even know there had been such excitement. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:23 AM

We're used to those EQ's here in California, but I know it was a scare for you guys on the East Coast. Maybe God is getting disgusted with those so called representatives in DC too and just decided to give them a good shake! LOL Hope all back there are ok. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Golfing??? He's fine!!! Unless he was standing next to a tall statue or something like that!!!! Fissures just don't open up very often!!!
Even then, none of the statues where damaged around here. National Cathedrial had somethings fall off, so it's closed for awhile.

You guys who are used to earth quakes have to understand, we don't get them here. At least ones we can feel.

I know they are exagerating and making a big deal out of it, but maybe it will calm down. I like hearing all the details of what's going on. But you're right it shouldn't really be monopolizing national news. It's really more of a local story.
I'm OK with it getting national news. It was more than just a local thing if it was felt all the way into Canada. Besides, the east coast rarely gets an earthquake, and certainly not one of this size. Today is a new day and I'm sure something else has taken the earthquake's place on the national news.

I am very happy that there weren't any serious injuries and there was very little destruction from it.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

When I finally turned on the tv late last night they said it was felt so far from the epic center, because of the difference in the rock deep underground. It isn't broken up into pieces like it is in California, and it is much harder rock. I don't know if the nuclear reactor is still spewing steam, but that is rather frightening.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Yellowstone is off the charts today, too. Look at this:
http://www.isthisthingon.org/Yellowstone/daythumbs.php
???

USGS is showing absolutely no EQ activity in Yellowstone.

This website is difficult to navigate and I couldn't understand how to read a lot of it but when I went to the chart that showed most activity it indicated seismic activity does not = EQ and that chart showed nothing since 2010.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:19 AM

So glad the damage was not worse. Hope the Hurricane comes in mildly and isn't too damaging. Just wish Texas could get some of the rain predicted for you all. We have broken so many records and will continue to do so for the next two weeks according to the forcasters.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 AM

Earthquakes actually have nothing to do with the weather.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
???

This website is difficult to navigate and I couldn't understand how to read a lot of it but when I went to the chart that showed most activity it indicated seismic activity does not = EQ and that chart showed nothing since 2010.
There was an earthquake in CO at about the same time as the one being covered on the news, but has such a lower population.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
???

There was an earthquake in CO at about the same time as the one being covered on the news, but has such a lower population.
Yes I can see that one on the USGS maps and the CO quake lookes to be in southern CO. Yellowstone is located in Montana Wyoming and Idaho.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
???

Yes I can see that one on the USGS maps and the CO quake lookes to be in southern CO. Yellowstone is located in Montana Wyoming and Idaho.
I live in Idaho, so I do know where Yellowstone is.