Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • EarthQuake in New Zealand!! >
  • EarthQuake in New Zealand!!

• EarthQuake in New Zealand!!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:54 PM

A "National Emergency" has now been declared by the New Zealand government.

This gives the government more power to intervene in this crisis.
    Old 02-22-2011, 04:40 PM

NZ most treasured assests are its Kiwi, but I will hold dear all my pictures of lovely downtown Christchurch. Did you know firefighters came over after 9-11 to help at ground zero and took back with them a piece of the steel structure. We saw it in Christchurch along with a plaque honoring all firemen lost in the line of duty. It was very touching. Saw my 1st chestnut tree ever as most have been lost to disease here in America. There is a reason Christchurch is called the Garden City of the World. Hugs and prayers to all Kiwis.
    Old 02-22-2011, 04:45 PM
    Power Poster

I think this forum shows again how close we are as a family, no matter how far apart we live. I used to think of natural disasters or political events as "over there" wherever "there" was. The QB and other forums like it have brought these problems front and center. While many of us cannot DO anything to help, we can be there to offer moral support and our hopes.
    Old 02-22-2011, 07:20 PM

It really is true that this QB has made the world smaller. I got the first word about the earthquake here, and my first thought was for all our Kiwi friends. I looked at this thread several times today for more news - thoughts and prayers going your way. The pictures on TV news tonight were devastating. I grew up in CA and thought we had earthquakes, but nothing like that - aftershocks must be absolutely terrifying.
    Old 02-22-2011, 11:23 PM

I have connections in New Zealand because my Godmother and her family moved there many years ago. In fact, her son was a senior member of the government for many years! We also, supposedly, have relatives there from my mother's side of the family. I hope all are safe. My parents loved NZ and would have been extremely upset by this devastation as they made so many good friends there on their visits.
    Old 02-23-2011, 04:02 PM

On the news today from NZ: 75 people confirmed dead, more than 300 people still missing, the death toll could go as high as 400, some of the buildings where there may be people buried have been declared too dangerous for searches to continue, 60% of Christchurch has had power restored, water will not be restored for some days yet, phone lines are still at a premium so text rather than ring, search and rescue teams from Australia, USA, Japan and Singapore are now in NZ, the state of emergency is still current in NZ.
    We saw a story on the news today where a house left standing almost untouched by the earthquake was totally destroyed by two boulders rolling down the hillside and bursting straight through the house. The hole could be seen through the house from front to back the size of the boulders and a crater in the front yard where one of the boulders bounced.
    Our prayers and thoughts are with NZ at this time.
    Old 02-24-2011, 11:00 PM

I think I've mentioned before how consuming this is. Thoughts don't stray very far from this situation.

Everyone I know - either has family or friends in Christchurch.

My brother is stationed in Christchurch in the Police force. He's safe, but very tired. He's been working 12hour + shifts everyday since Tuesday.

2 other family members has both lost their homes. 1 of the families (husband, wife and 2 young children) are living in a store warehouse. At least it is shelter. The other family member is elderly, and has been taking in by other family members. Both homes are utterly destroyed.

The stories are overwhelming and there really arent't any words left to describe the emotion, the pain and the loss.

I think we are all so stunned we just can't comprehend the scope of devastation.

We are all so very thankful to the many countries that have and are supporting us. So many countries.

You know - in life we hear so much on TV about the bad people, the murderers, and yucky things. But - I really believe that the majority of humanity is kind loving and giving. It's situations like these that show how real people from all over the world shine.
    Old 02-24-2011, 11:15 PM

We have been staying with family in part of the city which looks 'normal', and spending the day shoveling liquefaction from our driveway.

The clean up for the whole city will be a big big job, and we are so thrilled with all the offers of help from unaffected locals and all people from all around the world. There are many thoughtful, generous people and it is very humbling.

It looks like it will be weeks before some of us will have power, water, sewerage and phone restored. Our view is we've done it once, we can do
    it again!!! Us kiwis are tough folk lol
    Old 02-24-2011, 11:29 PM

still keeping yall in my heart and prayers.
    Old 02-25-2011, 06:18 AM

Keeping everyone in NZ in our thought and prayers.