Eau De Skunk

Old 09-01-2023, 04:17 AM

Oh, YUCK! You've handled this so well - humor intact - and given us a giggle in the relating of a stinky story.

I'm not sure what I'd do, bc I know DH would not have stayed outside for the night. Maybe he'd go to a hotel? That'd work!
Old 09-01-2023, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the laugh and positive attitude. Invest in a live animal trap.
Old 09-01-2023, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

My hubby has one of those humane traps and caught several skunks. He threw an old blanket over the trap and drove to where he could let them out. I was worried but no spraying occurred lol
Old 09-01-2023, 06:06 AM

So the hydrogen peroxide solution got him clean enough to get him back into the house? That would keep him from smelling like a salad if you used vinegar.... I am very happy to hear of both these solutions to remove the stink.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:02 AM

My vet uses feminine douche on any animal that has been sprayed by a shunk. Just another suggestion.

Goatmom
Old 09-01-2023, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

My BIL was skunked and use the product used on dogs from the vet to get rid of the smell. Worked the first wash.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:18 AM

A hunting store or organization is a good idea. I can't guarantee my husband won't pester a skunk again in the future, knowing him. Parts of it were awful, but my husband and I were chuckling throughout.
Old 09-03-2023, 02:43 AM

A good sugestion: Next time let the skunk wander off on its own.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:46 AM

The hydrogen peroxide mix is very effective. Also, for some reason, hot vinegar seems to neutralize the smell. Our dog entered our porch before we realized she'd been skunked, and washing the floor with a hot vinegar solution really helped. Also, sunlight helps to neutralize (break down?) the scent oils. Maybe hang him on the wash line to air?

Glad you could keep your sense of humour through this, and thanks for making some of our other half's look relatively smart!
Old 09-03-2023, 06:10 AM

Yes, should have let the skunk wander off on its own, but my husband thought he was capable of catching it (I'm guessing his reflexes have gotten slower since he was a kid).

My husband mentioned sunlight being good for removing skunk odor, which was fine with me if it meant he stayed outside and didn't bring the odor in. Don't think I could hang him from the wash line. The one way I could make him stay put outside was the angle the TV inside toward the window where he could see it from the porch.