Eau De Skunk

Old 08-31-2023, 11:51 AM

Default Eau De Skunk

I love my husband, but he's a bit of a bonehead sometimes. Yesterday we found a skunk on our property and instead of letting me call a removal service, he insisted he could take care of it. You can probably guess how well that went. Within an hour, my husband's in his birthday suit looking sheepish as I try to hold my breath and pour a store's worth of tomato juice over him. Anyone else ever get on the wrong end of a skunk?
Old 08-31-2023, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

OMGGGGGGGG ....... Did you send him to camp outside until the smell is gone?

How are things today?
Old 08-31-2023, 12:07 PM

Yes, he slept outside last night and he's trying to sweet talk me into sleeping inside tonight. The way he smells, he'll be lucky if we have dinner tonight on opposite ends of the porch.

And skunk aside, things are good. Ran errands outside the house (much fresher air than the air at home). Husband constructed a hasty "outdoor shower" with waist-level coverage and a hanging hose. No complaints from the neighbors about that (yet). How about you?
Old 08-31-2023, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

Hope that with his being out and about, you are not allowing him into any vehicles. Otherwise, the smell may stick there forevvvvvver! Yuck!
Old 08-31-2023, 12:14 PM

He's on house arrest. I opened the window on the porch and angled the TV so he could watch it and gave him his oldest, rattiest clothes to wear. I think he's treating this a little like staying home sick from school.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:06 PM

This is so funny! Time to buy some POOF and see if it really works. I have yet to see it in any of the stores around here. Does anyone know if it really works on skunk like they claim?
Old 08-31-2023, 01:12 PM

I should look into that. My husband insisted he just needs another thorough tomato juice bath (or several), but I'm doubtful. He claims tomato juice works if you give it time because this isn't even his first time getting sprayed (he was sprayed once as a child and again as a teenager). I love him, but he's not the brightest crayon in the box.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:52 PM

Since this is your hubby's 3rd skunking, if you lived in nw MN instead of VA, someone would surely ask you if your husband was Norwegian, as we don't always learn from our previous mistakes. haha
Old 08-31-2023, 01:55 PM

Haha, he isn't Norwegian, just doesn't always use his head.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:58 PM

Years ago my cat Palmer was a mighty hunter and we lived out in the country... I just know he was thinking "That's the biggest black and white squirrel I've ever seen!"

Anyway, I guess it was more the acid in tomato juice than anything else, and it did help to get the oily residue off his fur but current recommendations are:

Chemist Paul Krebaum discovered a solution that changes the odorous thiols into odorless acids, thereby chemically neutralizing the skunk odor. The formula is: 1 quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (fresh bottle), • ¼ cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and • 1-2 teaspoons of liquid dish soap.
https://wildlife.unl.edu/pdfs/removing-skunk-odor.pdf