Education of today's youth

Old 01-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
"How many inches are in a foot?" I looked at her and said "12". Her reply to my facial expression???? "It's ok. we don't teach that in kindergarten so I don't need to know it."
THAT is beyond sad. To think that she is only one step above her 5-year old charges. Holy Cow.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:15 PM

Okay, the comment about the kindergarten teacher pushes another button of mine. Some people going into education should not be. It should not be a fall-back career - something you can do if you can't find a job doing something else. You need to have the motivation, personality and smarts to do it. Unfortunately, I've run into a number of college students who are education majors because their parents saw a value in this profession (but they didn't). They usually struggle through student teaching because it's not really what they want to do.
Teaching is getting harder and harder. It must be particularly hard if it's not something you really want to be doing.
Just my opinion,
lots2do
And...I have taught kindergarten in the past. Basic math concepts are helpful in that grade too!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:54 PM

NOW THAT is a great idea!!!!! I cant tell you how many times the kids in my neighborhood only made it as far as 'burning Atlanta'!!!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:55 PM

very true!!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Joan
I'm just glad your DH "educated" that young person.

We can never forget the VietNam Vets or any Vets for that matter.
Thank you, Joan...Two of my brothers served in Viet Nam...unfortunately, one of them has passed away, but I am SO proud of them!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by jojo47

Thank you, Joan...Two of my brothers served in Viet Nam...unfortunately, one of them has passed away, but I am SO proud of them!
My brother also was killed in Viet Nam, Tet offensive 42 years ago this week. Still miss him.

DH did jury duty last month, one of the jurers was a school teacher that couldn't read and understand what was described as a reasonable person. He is still livid that she is teaching.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

Oh this whole thread could lead me to a rant like you wouldn't believe...so I just won't go there...I'm sorry your DH had to hear that from that person though....
Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 PM

My DH serve in Vietnam during TET, also. Out of 7 brothers, 5 were in Vietnam. 3 at one time. I grew up in a little village that was between two large hills. It stretched over about 3/4 of a mile. 27 young men from that village served in Vietnam. We lost a cousin that we were very close to. I made sure that my kids and now my grandkids know what their dad and uncles did and why they did it. Whenever it came up in a history class, the teachers would ask my kids about some of the facts. It still makes me angry that they were so ignorant!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by bluebird
Originally Posted by jojo47

My brother also was killed in Viet Nam, Tet offensive 42 years ago this week. Still miss him.

DH did jury duty last month, one of the jurers was a school teacher that couldn't read and understand what was described as a reasonable person. He is still livid that she is teaching.
I should have clarified...my brother passed away of multiple myeloma, which is a cancer known to develop after exposure to Agent Orange, which was used in Viet Nam as a defolient...he was in a construction unit and in areas where the greenery neede to be cleared for building...and he will always be missed.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:12 AM

JOJO, I am so sorry for your loss. Of course you will always miss him, he was and still is an integral part of your life. When they came home we breathed a sigh of relief. Little did we know what they would face and what we would face with them and that we could still loose them to the war years later. Then, on top of that, to have them not remembered and revered the way they should be. My DH is still a bit bitter over the way he was treated and to be honest, at times, so am I.