Elder lawyer

Old 07-01-2013, 07:16 PM

Thank you all for your response but I am really not having such a difficult time with my Dad, he is a kind person and fairly happy. Yes he needs lots of care but there may be some other legal issues that arise.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:29 AM

Contact your local / state Bar Association - since the recession, a lot of attorneys don't have the business they used to have. They set a fixed fee for services - the bar association gets a small percentage - everyone is happy. They should be able to recommend several attorneys in your area who charge reasonable fees. My daughter did this in NYC and was able to hire a divorce attorney for a very reasonable fee.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 AM

I too am dealing with the issues of caring for my 92 yr mother. However, she was very deligent before the dementia progressed. She has a living will, appointed a POA representative (me) and had all her finances in order. It has been challenging at times but nothing we can't handle without an attorney. It has been a wake up call for me to have everything in order and have discussions with my only child about my wishes when I can't do it for myself. Right now I'm trying to pre-plan her funeral. That is definitely not pleasant but necessary.

I would suggest talking to the Agency on Aging. Sometimes they have lawyers on staff.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 AM

Here in California or at least in my neck of the woods when you join a senior center and are over 65 you can get free legal advice by volunteer lawyers or paralegals. I took my mom in when she needed legal advice and we were very happy with the results.
Not knowing your situation I don't know if the legal advice you need is for your dad or you with regards to your dad. My mom gave me power of attorney before her health started to fail so that made things easier for the family and there was never a need for an attorney after that.
I wish you all the best in this.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:40 PM

My parents had made a will years ago. Their estate is in really good order. About 1 year ago we took them to an elder lawyer to check out their affairs. The lawyer made several good suggestions. SHe was worth the money. CHeck with your local council on aging of another aging agency and ask them for recommendations.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:08 PM

You also might call Legal Aid, if there is one in your area. Or call 211 if you have it and they can often direct you to resources.

Good luck. My dad had a stroke last year and it has been a long road. He is frustrated by what he can't do physically, although his mind is as sharp as ever. My mom and he are living in their own home and doing ok, but I know someday it will be too much for my mother and then we will have to make some decisions that won't be fun and definitely won't be welcome by my parents. I am one of 7 and I thank God every day that I have so many siblings to share the burden and decisions with, and know that it will be somewhat easier later just because of our sheer number.

I hope when and if it happens to me, I will be graceful about becoming more dependent. It's a stage of life, same as any other. It means you lived longer than most and I hope I can be grateful for that and not bitter for what I lose as I age. I hope.