Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Embroidery machine - free standing lace question >
  • Embroidery machine - free standing lace question

• Embroidery machine - free standing lace question

Old 12-04-2016, 07:25 AM

Romanojg - I use Robison Anton rayon thread for my embroidery. The dealer I bought the machine from sells that brand and Sulky. As my friend uses R-A and likes it, I decided to (mostly) stick to it. I have enough variables to figure out with stabilizer, needles, machine speed etc! Slow progress, but steady!
    Old 12-04-2016, 12:20 PM

[QUOTE=GEMRM;7711914]Romanojg

I use RA as well and love it but when making like the Easter baskets that my 16 grandkids will play with all day and get tossed into a toy box, I'd rather use a cheaper thread. Especially since I love variegated and can make most if not all of the baskets with one spool. I use lots of different brands of emb thread and have no problems but its also expensive if you have lots to do.
    Old 12-04-2016, 04:04 PM

Yes, how true on the 2 ft rule. Gets me everytime I walk away! Best to babysit with it.
    Old 12-04-2016, 04:25 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one afraid to leave the machine and let it run. It would be just my luck that a needle would break, something would ball up or any number of things and the machine might not stop. It will stop on some things but not all.
    Old 12-06-2016, 09:28 PM

Am in the process of making Tea Light covers, in Christmas designs. The instructions say to use two layers of woven water soluble stabilizer, so I have Inspira AquaMagic. Every brand has their own name, but you need the woven water soluble. I started out with a regular embroidery needle until I switched to metallic, sparkly threads. Inspire recommends their Topstitch needles. I use #90. I think Schmetz has a needle Embroidery Metallic. As far as hoop, put in hoop that is smallest possible for your design and you won't waste stabilizer and also more stability. And yes, slower speed is better.
    Old 12-06-2016, 09:32 PM

BTW, the film water soluble is not what you should use for lace. The film is for laying on top of towels so your stitches don't disappear in the terry cloth. Also, the film water soluble is also for hooping on top of knit, example tee shirts. The film water soluble is a total different "animal" than the woven water soluble that you use for lace. Hope this helps.
    Old 12-07-2016, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by vschieve
    BTW, the film water soluble is not what you should use for lace. The film is for laying on top of towels so your stitches don't disappear in the terry cloth. Also, the film water soluble is also for hooping on top of knit, example tee shirts. The film water soluble is a total different "animal" than the woven water soluble that you use for lace. Hope this helps.
    This does help! Thanks for explaining what this type of water soluble is for - I had purchased some when at a shop quite awhile ago. As I now have some, and I want to do some hand towels, I'm off to the races?????