Estate Sale

Old 04-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

I have been to several estates sales where a parent has passed away. The kids had removed everything they wanted, and the rest was for sale. It was odd to go through a house that looked like the owner(s) had just stepped out for a little bit... and could be coming back at any moment.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:49 PM

Here (the cabinets, drawers, closets,) everything is emptied and the items are sitting out priced for sale. Personal items such as intimate apparel, meds, food, etc are all removed prior to the sale. But no matter what, it IS like going to a funeral---the house is there but nobody's home. I think maybe that's where the sadness comes in.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:05 PM

Thanks for all the replies. It makes me feel a little more normal about my feelings as well as giving another perspective. I thought I was over reacting a bit.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Banned

I hit estate sales almost weekly in my area and the one that I moved from when I downsized, and most of the homes are million dollar plus homes. The Sales are usually held by companies that deal in estate sales and they move things into the home that did not sell from several other sales. I have seen the same mirror at the last 5 or so sales I have been to. :lol:

I have found a lot of nice sewing machines and materials along with some hard to come by 50's household items and furniture. I have bought things that I have flipped on eBay and made stupid money from.

I know its sad in a way that everything that you work your entire life for is being rummaged through by complete strangers. But most of the time the kids/family are doing the sale just to get rid of the stuff.

Lets face it where are you going to put all of the stuff out of a 6000 sqft home at when your own house is full?

Billy
Old 04-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cminor
Thanks for all the replies. It makes me feel a little more normal about my feelings as well as giving another perspective. I thought I was over reacting a bit.
I don't think you were over-reacting at all. It is a bit strange going through someone's house but the way I look at it it's just stuff.
Their lives were much more important than their possessions and if I find something I like I feel like the deceased would be happy it was getting used by someone who also likes it.. Just my thoughts :) I haven't gone to any sales in awhile though b/c I am trying to minimize my own house :D My husband and I have been going through lots of stuff we don't want and our kids won't want. It's a great feeling actually!! I'm a pack-rat and am trying to change Of course, I'm not cleaning out my sewing room. That's different! lololol
Old 04-02-2010, 07:31 PM

I feel the same way. I sort of like them, but at the same time, I can't help think about the person -- and it does feel uncomfortable to be looking through their things. I like that there are often old and interesting things (which I like), but I'd much rather it be pulled outside & called a rummage sale!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by cminor
Perfectly normal for your first time really. Unfortunately you just happened to be there the same time that someone was making crude/rude remarks. Just remember for the next time that you are really helping the family out by making even a small purchase and who knows, you might get a few great bargains for yourself in the process.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:09 AM

You know as strange as one feels at estate sales, I will have to say it is a really eerie feeling when you are an heir and have to go into someone's house and go through their things to settle an estate. I have had to do this 4 times. I felt so funny...like I was snooping through their personal things and like the person was going to come in from the next room and 'catch' me.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:31 AM

I love to go to estate sales. My first experience resulted in me buying the BEST pair of pinking sheers you can imagine. They were old, GOOD, sharp as all get-out, in their original box and only $3.00. Every time I use them, I think of the dear lady that had bought and used them. I only pray MY stuff gets used by someone who appreciates them and thinks of me after I'm long gone!
Old 06-06-2011, 01:07 PM

I'm an antique doll collector, with some of them way over 100 years old. Of course someone else has owned them in the past! I'm just enjoying them til I croak, then they'll be sitting in some other persons' home til they croak, too! So estate sales don't bother me. After all, we can't take this stuff with us!