Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Evacuate your home--with your sewing machine? >
  • Evacuate your home--with your sewing machine?

• Evacuate your home--with your sewing machine?

Old 04-03-2011, 06:24 PM

Just a quick update, after it being 84 degrees (hot) and high winds yesterday that fanned the fire, today it was 34 and snowed! I heard that one house was lost to the fire. Hopefully this snow helped put out the fire. Fortunately in Colorado the counties are prepared to set up evacuation sites for large animals. We had a big fire south of the city about a week ago and large animals like horses and llamas/alpacas were taken to a fairgrounds nearby.
    Old 04-03-2011, 06:37 PM

I am the keeper of the family heirlooms. My sewing machine, computer, clothes, papers, etc... would be left behind. The family bible from 1854, the cradle and rocker from 1874, the journals from 1885-1903, my grandma's treadle from 1907, and So much more would be going with me. One time, about ten years ago, we had a chimney fire. We lived in an isolated area. While waiting for the firemen to arrive, I filled the front lawn with those keepsakes and photo albums. I've been lucky and never had to Evacuate. My heart would break if those things were lost during My watch...
    Old 04-03-2011, 08:43 PM

New update: 15 houses lost and the fire is only 5 percent contained. I guess the snow didn't really help after all.
    Old 04-03-2011, 09:36 PM

Flylady has a list of things that you should take. This is one of the most carefully thought out lists ever. It even includes what she delicately refers to as "personal protection". Lists of addresses and phone numbers, legal papers and all records that could be on thumb drives, Medicines (and freezer blocks in the freezer for Medicines that have to be kept cold) easily seen cat cages/dog leashes/cages if possible. Kids' toys to keep them quiet. Blankets/sleeping bags. Cell phones and in the car should always be a charger for your present phone.
    Lots more but most of this should be stuck before hand in a rolling suitcase.
    Do check this out, sometime you might need it and not be able to find vitally needed things in time to take them with you.
    Old 04-03-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
    I am the keeper of the family heirlooms. My sewing machine, computer, clothes, papers, etc... would be left behind. The family bible from 1854, the cradle and rocker from 1874, the journals from 1885-1903, my grandma's treadle from 1907, and So much more would be going with me. One time, about ten years ago, we had a chimney fire. We lived in an isolated area. While waiting for the firemen to arrive, I filled the front lawn with those keepsakes and photo albums. I've been lucky and never had to Evacuate. My heart would break if those things were lost during My watch...
    -----------------------------------------------
    Have you thought of digging out a bunker/tornado shelter deep in a hill side or even in a flat area? Cemented in and covered with a metal door? This might save a lot of large stuff in such a horrible time.
    Old 04-03-2011, 10:10 PM

When we just had the title wave warning here in hawaii. We live close to the beach and had to leave. i took my brand new sewing machine. and lots of material, books, Pictures, and my doggies. My daughter says I took my life. You dang right. Wont get those pictures again.
    Old 04-03-2011, 11:24 PM

I would grab my quilts and patterns and as much fabric as I could. Much as I love my machine, I could have a new one with the insurance money, but my quilts are ireplacable.
    Old 04-04-2011, 02:15 AM

All my quiliting stuff is always in my van. I can only use it at guild and UFO at this time. And yes, there is still room for the dogs and emergency provisions. My cell phone has internet capabilities. I just need to get my handcrank machine ready and I will be totally ready to bugout.
    Old 04-04-2011, 03:17 AM

I have to tell you.....A while back the house behind me was totally ingulfed in flames at 3 am. It was so close to my garage that is attached to my home. I got my kids together, phoned my DH at work. The first thing I took out of my house was my sewing machine!! Next I took files. DH showed up and took his guns out....lol We all have our priorities. Always planned to grab kids baby pics, never gave them a thought.....
    Old 04-04-2011, 03:52 AM

After having a house fire...while watching it burn and the fireman fight it for 41/2 hours, my only thoughts were my pictures and computer because it had all our business on it.
    My family was safe. We were fortunate we saved about 75% of all we had but you learn real fast what is important to you.
    I had not been quilting then but still think my thoughts would have been the same.
    We were blessed tremendously through all of this with protection, love of friends and family, and blessed by God!