Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Ever have to "reinvent yourself"? >
  • Ever have to "reinvent yourself"?

• Ever have to "reinvent yourself"?

Old 12-27-2009, 07:41 AM

This too will pass.
    Those four words have taken me through so much! They are always true (unfortunately, even for good things).
    Every so often I still hear myself saying "my previous life was so incredibly different from what it is now". Sometimes I feel positive when I make that statement, sometimes negative.
    Ya, slogging through the mud sure isn't fun, but keep moving.
    Old 12-27-2009, 07:41 AM

Sounds like you are a 'lifelong learner'. Sorry about all your health issues. I am a Realtor, career interrupted due to back injury, etc. and now back in the business again as a Broker, looking for agents. Let me know more about yourself and I'll let you know about our company, its philosophy and how you can earn while at home, until you are ready to go back out there again.

Quilting is my 'art therapy'. (I wanted to get my Masters Degree in this field and am fascinated with it) Getting into my fabrics and sewing room, free motion embroidery practice, painting helps when you are overwhelmed.

Wishing you a great 2010 with new adventures.

Emjay
    Old 12-27-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay
    Sounds like you are a 'lifelong learner'.
    Is that what it's called? I prefer to think of myself as a Rennaissance woman.

I am an experienced resort mgr/ farmer/ carpenter/ antiques dealer/ artist/ construction office mgr/ limner/ marketing/ graphic artist/software applications programmer/office drone

and some folks wonder why there are gaps in my resume!!!!
    Old 12-27-2009, 10:51 AM

Boy oh boy does this sound familiar.

I really have not had any outside career as it just never really happened. Daughter, wife, mother, certified police officer, security officer, building manager (twice), farm manager, now studying full-time to become a Medical Assistant. Will be 55 next b-day. Sometimes I ask why but this time around I really need some health insurance and retirement. Big plus that I like to help people, too.

Life's a journey and without the good Lord's help, I wouldn't have made it this far.

Hang in there and take one day at a time.
    Old 12-27-2009, 11:42 AM

What touching, uplifting stories all of you have to tell! This is why I enjoy the company of other women so much--they're smart, they're strong, they're brave--and they just keep plugging along, often while taking care of others. I'm sorry so many of you are having tough times--I've had them, too--but I know you'll find the courage and the strength to get through whatever your current challenge is, and you'll come out the other side even stronger. Y'all are AWESOME!
    Old 12-27-2009, 12:16 PM
    Power Poster

Life is a journey, not a destination. Why can't it be one of those all-expenses paid, full pamper treatment kind of trips? No, it has to be one of those camping in the woods, wipe your butt with poison oak kind of trips.

I think the secret is to find joy and humor along the way. You've already proven to yourself that you can pick yourself up and move on. You are smart, resourceful, and among good company on this board.

We will cheer you on in your new endeavor - whatever it is and wherever it takes you.
    Old 12-27-2009, 12:46 PM

I couldn't agree with Mad more! Hang in there...
    Old 12-27-2009, 05:08 PM

I'm not sure it's reinvent--maybe more just adding to what's there? You have much wisdom gained from every experience. It's perspective... your glass is half full?
    Old 12-27-2009, 05:20 PM
    Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

CAN I REINVENT myself????????? OK here goes I am 26 year old 5'9" ( don't want to make myself too tall) 120 lbs with blonde hair, blue eyes. I live in a $6,000,000.00 mansion on the south shore of Long Island. My husband is the love of my life. I am the heir to a large corp.( I can not divolge the name) My sewing room is 5,000 sq feet and I have floor to ceiling shelves and all my fabric is color coded. washed ironed and neatly put away.

Reality is......... life sucks and we have to make the best of it. Count your blessings everyday and thank God you are alive. If you have to change a job or location just move on. Life is so short it can be taken from you in the blink of an eye. Enjoy life to the fullest even if the fullest is just being able to make it to the bathroom.
    Old 12-28-2009, 02:38 PM
    Power Poster

We just keep reinventing ourselves are whole life. Life changes and so do we.