Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Ever have to "reinvent yourself"? >
  • Ever have to "reinvent yourself"?

• Ever have to "reinvent yourself"?

Old 12-30-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
    Someone in this thread (I don't know who and would not say if I did know) opined that someone who has not suffered greatly lacks a depth of feeling or sensitivity for others. (That is not a direct quote, but that was the gist of what she said). This troublemaker disagrees entirely with that. Kindness and genuine consideration are not traits that have to be earned by personal hardship. Some of the finest, kindest people I know have led pleasant, fairly uneventful lives.
    Originally Posted by Pam G
    I also believe that we go through struggles so that we can be there for someone else. I know some people who have had pretty "stable" lives and they are some of the most un-compassionate people I have ever met, they just don't get it.
    Not sure if I should post again, probably just get myself “in trouble” but I would like to "set the record straight".

This has been MY experience that SOME of the people who have not gone down the road with trouble have been uncompassionate to ME and my DD.

I’m glad that you haven’t had that experience, it is my hope that NO-ONE going through difficult times is confronted with un-compassionate people.

From now on when I post my opinion/my experience I will try to emphasize IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) even more clearly.
    Old 12-30-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
    Someone in this thread (I don't know who and would not say if I did know) opined that someone who has not suffered greatly lacks a depth of feeling or sensitivity for others. (That is not a direct quote, but that was the gist of what she said). This troublemaker disagrees entirely with that. Kindness and genuine consideration are not traits that have to be earned by personal hardship. Some of the finest, kindest people I know have led pleasant, fairly uneventful lives.
    I also believe that we go through struggles so that we can be there for someone else. I know some people who have had pretty "stable" lives and they are some of the most un-compassionate people I have ever met, they just don't get it.
    Not sure if I should post again, probably just get myself “in trouble” but I would like to "set the record straight".

This has been MY experience that SOME of the people who have not gone down the road with trouble have been uncompassionate to ME and my DD.

I’m glad that you haven’t had that experience, it is my hope that NO-ONE going through difficult times is confronted with un-compassionate people.

From now on when I post my opinion/my experience I will try to emphasize IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) even more clearly.
    Pam, please accept my apology. Because it is not my place to critique you or your opinions, I regretted sending the note as soon as I hit the "Send" button.

I certainly don't know that compassion is NOT something that can be learned, but I'm more inclined to think it's a character trait rather than a development. Because I do know kind and compassionate people who have led rather uneventful lives and I know unkind people who have known misfortune, I took exception to what you said. I may have hurt your feelings and I'm sorry for that.
    Old 12-30-2009, 10:19 PM

Weezie - Thanks for the apology although not sure you had anything to apologize for and I was not looking for one. My reply was not to make you feel bad and if it did, I apologize.

It's hard on message boards like this to always remember that when someone says/writes something that it is strictly from their experience, point of view or opinion.

I think everyone has a story and sharing gives us time to vent, validation that we are not the only one going through struggles, and another viewpoint that we may or may not have seen.

Happy New Year to All!
    Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 PM

Weezie - Thanks for the apology although not sure you had anything to apologize for and I was not looking for one. My reply was not to make you feel bad and if it did, I apologize.

It's hard on message boards like this to always remember that when someone says/writes something that it is strictly from their experience, point of view or opinion.

I think everyone has a story and sharing gives us time to vent, validation that we are not the only one going through struggles, and another viewpoint that we may or may not have seen.

Happy New Year to All!
    Pam, I DID feel bad, but it was my conscience causing that. I try to avoid saying mean things, so when I do stray and say something uncalled for, I stew about it. Thanks for your reply; makes me feel better. Happy New Year right back atcha!
    Old 12-31-2009, 06:20 AM

I am retired but had to do it about twice in my work career.
    Don't know you but am proud of your inner strength to keep you going. My son had to do this and I am so proud he did not get down but dealt with it. You can do it! God bless you.
    Old 12-31-2009, 06:49 AM

Wow, I had no idea when I started this thread how many replies it would receive. Thank you to everyone who wrote, and yes we all have opinions.. the world would be pretty darned boring if everyone thought the same. This is the color of life. Thank you to everyone who shared a story back with me. I once had a friend who told me everyone has a closet with a suitcase full of troubles, just not everyone shares them. I don't have a worst friend I would wish this disorder on and am sad others have to share it with me. This is a new year starting and I am intending it to be the best one yet. A new job for the hubby (pray with me) we are relocating, the house is packed and a new start, new 'tude and new friends. Thank you for being my new quilt friends everyone.
    Old 01-02-2010, 01:43 PM
    Administrator

i'm locking this topic. it has gotten out of hand. i'm leaving most of the comments intact. it took a great deal of bravery for some of you to reveal such painful realities for the benefit of others.

unfortunately, others tried to turn it into a tent revival meeting.

the board is NOT to be used as a vehicle for either promoting religion or for denouncing it. Religion and politics are strictly off limits here.