Exploited?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:28 PM

Thank you for bringing this up. Fortunately, my DH does NOT discourage me from buying quilt stuff I want - in fact he encourages me. DH knows if I'm happy, he's happy.

I hate to shop, except for fabrics & quilt stuff. I bought my Go cutter in October, and I love it so much that now I design so I can use it! It's not at all flimsy - don't know why that man thought it is! Drop it on his foot, and see how flimsy he thinks it is!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:34 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
My husband spends money on bullets and guns. He blows through money and has only holes on a target to show for it. At least I have a finished product that is usable. Not only that, but I can do my hobby all the time... taking it with me if I want, whereas he has to leave home and go out shooting.
Same here. If I didn't have some fabric and some gadgets to feed my creativity, I would have nothing but work. Besides that, there are a lot of quilters helping others through their quilting. I don't see it as just gadgets and fabric stash. It's what gives me something to look forward to. I have a job, work very long hours, and am not much of a spender. It kinda hurts a bit to come to a safe place, the place where we come together to support and encourage one another, and go away feeling guilty for having something that feeds the soul.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by shequilts
Stop buying into every fad and whimsy item. Women love to shop and will buy anything.
I am selling the stash that resulted from my buying frenzies and now shop only with an item in mind. For instance, I was at a wholesalers sale today and bought only some fabrics I needed for a quilt. Ordinarily, I would have bought BIG just because it was so cheap! Prices have gone up significantly because quilters are pretty much a captive audience. We love to "brag" about our stashes even if we only accumulate. I've resigned from that and will not get caught up in it again. My money is better spent on enjoying life than being tied up on a shelf in a closet.
Where do you shop for fabric wholesale in the Atlanta area? I used to shop wholesale in the garment district in NYC but since I moved down here I haven't found any sources other than online. I would love to find a local wholesaler. Please, please, pretty please :)
Old 01-31-2011, 08:47 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
Basic economics says that the price will be whatever people will pay. Men pay exorbitantly for power tools and the like, we women have our things that we probably pay too much for. I'm gay (no hubby here) but my partner buys guy stuff and when she buys a big-ticket item, especially one that I think is unnecessary (usually from Home Depot!) I get equal cash for crafting. It all works out and causes her to think more about her purchases since we will actually be out DOUBLE the cost of the "toy" when I get my crafting/quilting fix!
Hey there :-) Just to clarify, I have a husband AND I have all my own tools. I at least use them. LOL
Old 01-31-2011, 08:50 PM

[quote=bakermom]
Originally Posted by Kathy9052 However, I wouldn't take anything for my electric Black & Decker lid opener. That is a necessity for me for some of the lids that are so tight - my arthritis won't let me open the jars.[/quote

i've wondered how those worked. Dh keeps saying he wants to get one for my mom and his.
So happy to hear that you like it. We bought one for my MIL for Christmas a year ago. I never saw one work, but I thought it would be helpful since she lives alone.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:01 PM

Just think 42 inch plasma screen TVs or a clasic GTO (Corvette?) and I think you will see that exploitation is non-gender based. I took enough marketing classes (and have watched enough politicians to see it in action) to know that, unfortunately, all of us can be easily manipulated if we don't stop to ask questions. Most new items now seem to be made flimsier than before. As far as new quilting gadgets, I don't know. If the new AccuQuilt serves you well than regardless of other opinions it is a good value to you. In the long run, you must decide these things for yourself. Good Luck and at least I know who to PM if I buy an AccuQuilt and don't have a clue how to work it:)
Old 01-31-2011, 09:35 PM

Have any of you seen the prices for fly fishing items??? The clothing is very expensive. I think the quality is excellent, but so is good quilting fabric. Every hobby has high end and the bargain items. You are free to choose and really no one should tell snyone else what they should do. JMHO.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 PM

[quote=bakermom]
Originally Posted by Kathy9052 However, I wouldn't take anything for my electric Black & Decker lid opener. That is a necessity for me for some of the lids that are so tight - my arthritis won't let me open the jars.[/quote

i've wondered how those worked. Dh keeps saying he wants to get one for my mom and his.
I have a friend who has one of these and wouldn't trade it for anything!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 PM

I do think,in any hobby for men and women, that companies will try to take advantage of the people who truly like what they do. For example,men and fishing. Look at all the lures and different rods and equipment they tempt the men with. That's just one example. Men and women are both exploited to a degree if we let the companies that sell the products. We just have to take a hard look at the product and decide if we really need or want it. If we need it, then buy it. If we can afford it and want it, then buy it. That's the same reasoning men use,I hope?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:23 AM

Come on Dave, we want your opinion on this one. lol. :)