Exploited?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:36 AM

Tell him to come "down under' and see what we pay for fabric.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:57 AM

When my hubby makes a comment on something I have bought, which he thinks is money wasted, I remind him of all the beers he buys and then flushes down the loo. At least I have something to show for my money spent and he has nothing. He soon goes quiet. No contest !!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:14 AM

I'm glad I bought my stash when I did. I rarely have to go out and buy fabric now. I dont feel my purchases were from liking to spend. And I definatlely wouldnt buy the things that my dh buys and considers necessary. 15 different size wood clamps, drill bits of all sizes, glues, epoxies, 4 wheeler. Gender is not an issue here. Dh says my quilting supplies and notions are cheating in the quilting world. Quilts are hand stitched. I told him I was gonna take his air compressor and tools for it, and that new chainsaw i bought for his birthday it goes also, we have an ax. After that he understood that just becuase it makes things easier for me doesnt meen its a exploited item. Maybe honey would like to ride a horse to work also. Everything in lives makes life easier, why do it the hard way if you dont have to, unless you just want to. Its hard to believe that a 6.99 purchase would bring up this topic.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by wanna be quilter
When my hubby makes a comment on something I have bought, which he thinks is money wasted, I remind him of all the beers he buys and then flushes down the loo. At least I have something to show for my money spent and he has nothing. He soon goes quiet. No contest !!
Amen sister!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:01 AM

Industries use this, example: GNC's UltraNourisHair, men's and women's formula exact same ingredients, same amounts, women's formula $2.00 higher.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
Just remind him when they pay $50.00 to watch a boxing match on Pay per View and it ends on the second round. At least with your flimsy plastic holder you have something to show. They have nothing!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Where is the clapping smiley when you need it!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I'm glad I bought my stash when I did. I rarely have to go out and buy fabric now. I dont feel my purchases were from liking to spend. And I definatlely wouldnt buy the things that my dh buys and considers necessary. 15 different size wood clamps, drill bits of all sizes, glues, epoxies, 4 wheeler. Gender is not an issue here. Dh says my quilting supplies and notions are cheating in the quilting world. Quilts are hand stitched. I told him I was gonna take his air compressor and tools for it, and that new chainsaw i bought for his birthday it goes also, we have an ax. After that he understood that just becuase it makes things easier for me doesnt meen its a exploited item. Maybe honey would like to ride a horse to work also. Everything in lives makes life easier, why do it the hard way if you dont have to, unless you just want to. Its hard to believe that a 6.99 purchase would bring up this topic.
An AX!! Now that really would be taking things to extremes!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
To clarify: I was the one who was disappointed by the plastic cone holder I had thought was metal. My DH used the opportunity to criticize the cutter's quality (he hasn't used it) and to generalize how women are exploited, presumably by manufacturers and marketers. It is very interesting to see where the discussion has gone and I have learned some useful things!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:37 AM

I bought the cheap plastic cone holder, too, and stacked up some heavy washers we had around on the base. If I had wanted to go buy a couple of heavier ones, the stack would be shorter.

I agree that most things that are aimed at a specialty market are overpriced, examples given such as marine also RV or camping.

We frequently try to find a similar item in a regular store or buy using 50% off sales or I will buy machine needles, rotary cutting blades in bulk on Ebay. In fact, I've got so many blades from a buy 2 or 3 yrs ago I haven't had to stock up on the 50% off sales.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM

Good for you lol
Old 02-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

Mu husband never says anything because he knows that I have seen him buy things he didn't need or bought just to buy it etc. Need I say more?