Exploited?

Old 01-31-2011, 03:23 AM

Every living person is exploited by advertising of overpriced things. Whatever items you're talking about - and no matter the gender of the "primary targets" - the marketers will try to make us all want something so much as to not consider the value for money.

There have been massively overpriced items I've bought that I love and am not sorry for buying, and others that I just wish I had the money back. But sometimes you don't know until you try it! For me, Accuquilt is something I looked at and decided would be a huge waste of money. For others it's a worthwhile expenditure. It's all in how you feel about it.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:26 AM

Kaye-Kaye, need to know where that adorable apron came from that is on your avatar!!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:30 AM

Basic economics says that the price will be whatever people will pay. Men pay exorbitantly for power tools and the like, we women have our things that we probably pay too much for. I'm gay (no hubby here) but my partner buys guy stuff and when she buys a big-ticket item, especially one that I think is unnecessary (usually from Home Depot!) I get equal cash for crafting. It all works out and causes her to think more about her purchases since we will actually be out DOUBLE the cost of the "toy" when I get my crafting/quilting fix!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:01 AM

Somehow quilting became a disease. An addiction. We all know that if we don't buy it now it will be gone forever. After buying every tool to make quilts faster and faster so we can spend more money to make more quilts. We buy or subscribe to multiple quilting magazines. Now we have a stash so overwhelming we have to build another room to house it all. Then one day we wake up. Home many quilts have we actually made? Prices now are sky high and becoming unaffordable. So yes, we have been exploited.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:06 AM

I agree!

Originally Posted by GrammaO
Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. If you like and you use it, it has value. Just like a drill, a barbque, and Harley or a vintage car.....I don't think we are exploited by fabric/quilting/sewing anymore that we are by any other item on the market. We can, however, be aware of what we NEED versus what we WANT and be prudent about what we spend our money on. Cheap tools often (not always) result in cheap results. In this economy being a smart shopper is immportant.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:09 AM

Some of the stuff we buy is crap for the money. Having said that though, I earn my own money and spend my own money on what I want. It is what it is.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 AM

Go look in his garage or work area. How many screwdrivers, drills etc. does he have.

I was having to sort and pack some of my husband's tools one time and I think we had 3 or 4 drills (basically identical, probably 10 screwdrivers (again basically identical) and who knows what other stuff. I also found a new miter saw still in its box. We aren't the only ones who get sucked in with our hobbies.

Susan
Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Limey
My husband tells me that we women are exploited and no man would pay what we pay. The issue came up over a cone thread holder which I bought at Joann's and was disappointed to find that it was flimsy plastic (at $6.99!! but I did use my 40% off). He was making reference to my new Accuquilt cutter (which I got at Amazon at what I thought was a large discount over the listed price). He considered it over-priced even at that (and also plastic and flimsy),no man would buy it. I was reading about over-priced magazines and wondered if we really are exploited, what can we do about it?
Has he ever priced a golf club??? It can be hundreds of dollars - for what - a couple ounces of metal? And then greens fees! You can buy that accucut and some dies for what it would cost a foursome for 18 holes of golf some places. And MEN are everywhere on them! How about a hunting rifle that they use - what - once or twice a year?? If they get a shot off!! Unless they do A LOT of home projects, I'll bet that shop equipment is a pretty penny - per use! And the sports jerseys you see everywhere. Priced them at Christmas - I'd say OVERPRICED, and yet - men everywhere wear them. So, I have to say, he was just saying HE wouldn't buy it - but I'll bet he has some of the overpriced stuff men DO buy! Am I right? :)
Old 01-31-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by atvrider
Somehow quilting became a disease. An addiction. We all know that if we don't buy it now it will be gone forever. After buying every tool to make quilts faster and faster so we can spend more money to make more quilts. We buy or subscribe to multiple quilting magazines. Now we have a stash so overwhelming we have to build another room to house it all. Then one day we wake up. Home many quilts have we actually made? Prices now are sky high and becoming unaffordable. So yes, we have been exploited.
My sentiments exactly! You are right. Quilting is wonderful and our grandmothers & mothers were wise. Family came first always, quilting/needlwork came last when & if time permitted. Using what fabric could be found laying around or repurposing items to make a quilt. No magazines, I did find 3 crochet mags and a couple of patterns in my mom's sewing cabinet. I've got a lot of their wonderful & talented handiwork, they had a treadle, and their hands, needles and thread to work their arts. I've got all kinds of wonderful tools, and I'm nowhere near their talents!
Let's all wake up and get back to the basics.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 01-31-2011, 06:15 AM

Wish you could see all of the golf clubs and golfing gadgets that DH needed over the years. At least our fabric will still be around when we decide to use it. I'm not much for gadgets but do have quite a supply of fabric and thread. Working for years in retail and seeing how women, and men also, shop made quite an impression on me.
Originally Posted by Limey
My husband tells me that we women are exploited and no man would pay what we pay. The issue came up over a cone thread holder which I bought at Joann's and was disappointed to find that it was flimsy plastic (at $6.99!! but I did use my 40% off). He was making reference to my new Accuquilt cutter (which I got at Amazon at what I thought was a large discount over the listed price). He considered it over-priced even at that (and also plastic and flimsy),no man would buy it. I was reading about over-priced magazines and wondered if we really are exploited, what can we do about it?