Exploited?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:42 AM

He's not a golfer. His hobby is woodwork and he has a lot of tools but they were bought ages ago and are still going strong. I notice that when he gets something pricey for himself, he asks if there is anything I need. I don't consider him extravagant on clothes. I think he genuinely believes that we women are exploited.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
My husband spends money on bullets and guns. He blows through money and has only holes on a target to show for it. At least I have a finished product that is usable. Not only that, but I can do my hobby all the time... taking it with me if I want, whereas he has to leave home and go out shooting.
My dh does the same thing only he doesn't even go target practice! Once in a great while he will have a succesful elk hunt.Drives me nuts.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:39 AM

what is a necessity to you may be a gadget to me. gender really isn't a part of it.

example: I have and use the little crank-style canopener I've had since i got married 30+ years ago. Never had an electric one, never wanted one. have no desire for the new"safe" ones that remove only the top. but I know many people that wouldn't be without one.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
My husband spends money on bullets and guns. He blows through money and has only holes on a target to show for it. At least I have a finished product that is usable. Not only that, but I can do my hobby all the time... taking it with me if I want, whereas he has to leave home and go out shooting.
We might be married to the same man. I have to say he never complains and even encourages me to buy better equipment. But if he goes hunting he can bring home meat.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:55 AM

I don't think anyone can be exploited unless they want to be. Of course there will always be new gadgets, now fabrics, new machines and whatever. It's entirely up to the individual if they want to buy it or not. I am very carful with my money and what I buy.

Those cone thread holders used to be heavy metal and now they are flimsy plastic, I still have the old ones and I did post a way you could make your own with the empty disk containers, it works just as well.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-64523-1.htm
Old 01-31-2011, 11:58 AM

Think we all spend on what's important to us, if Golf, pricey, Boating pricey, Eating out pricey and on and on... still think out of all items other than basic shop tools can't use a butter knife for all fixes :) and basic sewing , probibly don't have to have all :). but some wouldn't do without.
Others wouldn't function on non-techie items. That's how marketers market and new work is created. JMO
Happy Quilting
Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 PM

no comment here because my hubby figures if i didnt need it i wouldnt hve bought it in the first place !!! and he pays for it, i guess that is what being married for 37 years does to us
Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 PM

Don't let DH get you down. Somtimes they just know how to push your buttons.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:09 PM

my dh and i have a wonderful understanding i do not tell him what i spend and he does not tell me and as long as all the bills are paid.we also both set a limit and if there is something out of the limit we ask if it is doable.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 PM

Kinda surprised by a few of the defensive comments. I wasn't sure the original poster said her hubby was being aggressively snotty about it. I think he had a valid point.

We've all been snookered a time or two into thinking we needed something that we just don't. There's a reason people are paid good money for advertising. And we've all been disappointed at least once in the quality of something we've bought. Women do tend to shop more--regardless of whether we're talking about fabric , clothes, groceries, whatever...

The key , as with anything in life, is balance.