Exploited?

Old 01-31-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Talk about exploited, just put 'marine' on any item and you can double the price. Boat owners really get soaked!
Or "medical"!! Ridiculous the price the medical field has to pay for items! We have medical supply books...a flashlight in one of them is easily 4 or more times higher than Walmart! (We were looking for a non LED bulbed flashlight due to the LED giving a blue look when the anesthetist checks on a patients face during a lights out scoped procedure! Anesthetists DON'T want a patients face to be blue!!!) LOL!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

I don't feel exploited since I buy what I want and think I will use. When my DH comes with me to shows/shop/etc. he wants me to get every gadget there is. Afterall he says there are special tools for everything, hehehehe. I am the one to say, nah, I don't need it. If it makes you happy go for it! If you don't use it, lesson learned.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:19 PM

I'm inclined to think that the words "ART", "CRAFT" or "SEWING" bring on the exploitation - at least in this country. Perhaps it is because it is considered 'leisure' or 'unnecessary'(?). However, I often find that I can get the same item in the hardware store for a lot cheaper and in bigger quantities. It is just a shame that the hardware store doesn't sell fabric.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:23 PM

Sounds just like my hubby. Make me mad as you know what... Tables turn if its a new tool of some sort that they absolutely have to have. Poohie!!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:31 PM

My solution to most things is "I can make better than that myself." But then, I like power tools. I like the hardware store. Some of my best gadgets come from the hardware store.
Rona carries scissors - just as good and a lot cheaper than at sewing stores. Rona carries plexiglass, bolts, wire, rope, lots of things that the creative types that we are , can use to make good quality things to assist our craft. We are women - look out or we'll run you over!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom
what is a necessity to you may be a gadget to me. gender really isn't a part of it.

example: I have and use the little crank-style canopener I've had since i got married 30+ years ago. Never had an electric one, never wanted one. have no desire for the new"safe" ones that remove only the top. but I know many people that wouldn't be without one.
I'm with you on the can opener. I don't want an electric one. However, I wouldn't take anything for my electric Black & Decker lid opener. That is a necessity for me for some of the lids that are so tight - my arthritis won't let me open the jars.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Limey
He's not a golfer. His hobby is woodwork and he has a lot of tools but they were bought ages ago and are still going strong. I notice that when he gets something pricey for himself, he asks if there is anything I need. I don't consider him extravagant on clothes. I think he genuinely believes that we women are exploited.
Why not get hubby to make you a better threadholder?
Old 01-31-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith
I totally agree with shequilts. Simplify, simplify, simplify. It's amazing how well you can do without all the gadgets. I only buy what i need (except an occasional quilting book) Didn't used to be that way but when we retired and downsized i realized how much i really had. Why buy fabric at any price if you never use it. DH went on a diet too.
Me too!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Originally Posted by Limey
He's not a golfer. His hobby is woodwork and he has a lot of tools but they were bought ages ago and are still going strong. I notice that when he gets something pricey for himself, he asks if there is anything I need. I don't consider him extravagant on clothes. I think he genuinely believes that we women are exploited.
Why not get hubby to make you a better threadholder?
Good idea! But he is making a screen for me currently. He made my sewing table and cabinet many years ago.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:08 PM

Does anyone have the Accuquilt Go Baby? I just ordered one from a shop on eBay, and have been looking at them for quite some time. If you have one, would you please email me with your critique of it???

Thurma