Exploited?

Old 01-31-2011, 05:36 PM

While I agree that women pay too much for clothing and services such as dry cleaning and alterations, ask Hubby how much guys spend on stuff like arcade games at the fair or carnival so they can impress and win fair lady with a cheap stuffed animal made in China for $.50. It is all relative.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 PM

[quote=Kathy9052 However, I wouldn't take anything for my electric Black & Decker lid opener. That is a necessity for me for some of the lids that are so tight - my arthritis won't let me open the jars.[/quote]

i've wondered how those worked. Dh keeps saying he wants to get one for my mom and his.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Limey
My husband tells me that we women are exploited and no man would pay what we pay. The issue came up over a cone thread holder which I bought at Joann's and was disappointed to find that it was flimsy plastic (at $6.99!! but I did use my 40% off). He was making reference to my new Accuquilt cutter (which I got at Amazon at what I thought was a large discount over the listed price). He considered it over-priced even at that (and also plastic and flimsy),no man would buy it. I was reading about over-priced magazines and wondered if we really are exploited, what can we do about it?
And what hobby does your husband have - mine plays golf -
I happen to know that that is a more expensive hobby than quilting - a dozen golf balls are a lot more than $7.00 -
Old 01-31-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by merry
Originally Posted by GrammaO
Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. If you like and you use it, it has value. Just like a drill, a barbque, and Harley or a vintage car.....I don't think we are exploited by fabric/quilting/sewing anymore that we are by any other item on the market. We can, however, be aware of what we NEED versus what we WANT and be prudent about what we spend our money on. Cheap tools often (not always) result in cheap results. In this economy being a smart shopper is immportant.
I firmly agree.
I, too, agree.

Also -- I have taught myself to not be a conpulsive buyer. With technology being so readily available.... I will look and study tools/patterns/gadgets via various websites before making the plunge. I do, occassionally, buy on a whim... only when something just totally grabs me...those times have become much less frequent.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:41 PM

When I shop I spend the first half of my time putting things in my cart and the second half talking myself out of the things I really don't need and putting them back.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 PM

This really has nothing to do with gender. When we see a gadget we think we want for our hobby, we will think about it & maybe do a little research & then buy it if we want it. Doesn't matter if you are male or female.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:52 PM

Unfortunately, in a way he is right.

How many of us have found a similar product in a non-quilting environment for a whole lot less? Harbor Freight carries those rotary cutter blades for about $1per blade, but you go to buy it at Joanns or LQS and what is the cost? a heck of a lot more.

but I also agree that men pay for their toys, gadgets and hobbies too.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 01-31-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaO
Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. If you like and you use it, it has value. Just like a drill, a barbque, and Harley or a vintage car.....I don't think we are exploited by fabric/quilting/sewing anymore that we are by any other item on the market. We can, however, be aware of what we NEED versus what we WANT and be prudent about what we spend our money on. Cheap tools often (not always) result in cheap results. In this economy being a smart shopper is immportant.
well said GrammaO
Old 01-31-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
If you think long enough about what you get when you buy ANYTHING, you will soon realize you were exploited.
I don't understand why any spouse would want to make their spouse feel bad over a simple hobby purchase, worth the cost or not.

About the Go. Mine will be three years old this year and I've never had a problem with it. It has not been babied, I've probably done everything wrong that can be done to it. It's been dropped from the roof of the car to the pavement, jumped on by two toddlers, a contest to see who turned the handle the fastest between two 10 year old boys, had a Little Golden Book cranked through it, and even watered logged with a water hose. Cheap plastic? I don't think so. Best $350 I've spent for a quilting tool other then my sewing machine.
Thanks for putting it through all the rigorous testing for me! Now I can buy one with confidence!!! :thumbup:
Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 PM

I LOVE my Accuquilt Go and DH bought it for me.It is going for 207.99 including the value pack die now on www.QuiltingWarehouse.com

And I paid over 300.00 for mine too. Taught me to do some comparison shopping online!!