Fabric Amounts -

Old 07-15-2018, 02:08 PM

Only because a few fat quarters and a few precuts were in the thrift shop for next to nothing did I buy them. I don't like either at all. I love scraps, because,, as PatriceJ said, when you make something out of them, it really is making something useable out of nothing.

I have bought much yardage, 1/2 yd. to multi-yard pieces up to 10 yds. and have used them to make many quilts from them. And, I have a huge stash of them. .. so much that I am not buying any more fabric at all... ever!!!
Old 07-15-2018, 02:22 PM

For me, using precuts comes with fear. What if I accidentally miscut a piece by even 1/4" ? A package has so few of a kind in it, that a woopsie is a much bigger deal compared to slicing off of yardage.

My sister loves pre-cuts. I asked her why and she says she's never been able to cut long, straight lines.

There's also the fear of bleeders, so (like all my fabric), I'd want to wash it first. Pieces that small don't always do well in the washing machine, and it's kind of annoying to hand wash and hang up and wait for fabric to dry. When I'm ready to sew, I want to do it now! Which is the reason a lot of people favor pre-cuts, but not me.

And paying for a fat eighth feels like overpaying for a scrap. It might be priced at exactly 1/8th of the yardage, but psychologically it's a hurdle.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

I only buy large yardage pieces 4-6 yds and remnants. Remnants of kid prints for my donation quilts or pieces I already have stash like.

I don't buy precuts. I had a bunch of scraps and have probably made 60 - 80 quilts. I have 6 waiting to be finished and am working on another 6 - 8. Then I will have used up mine and my daughter's scraps.

I swear after all these scraps I am going to not let them accumulate again.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:10 AM
Power Poster

I hear complaints all the time from people who buy precuts and FQs/ 8ths and are always disappointed that they don't get proper cut fabric. Can't wash precuts. They are also more expensive than fabric cut from a bolt.

I love scraps, you know what they are and can't be disappointed with them.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

I'm the other way around. I dislike scraps but love pre-cuts!!! One reason I like to buy precuts is that I like to have several fabrics in a certain line, or a number of pieces to work with. But scraps drive me crazy lol I give them away.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by lyric girl
Personally, I despise scraps and scrappy quilts. I give mine away. As for precuts, well, if they are cut properly they are time savers. However, I have seen many bowed jelly rolls, so I stopped buying them.
That's the great thing about quilting, we each get to make what we like
Old 07-16-2018, 10:10 AM
mac

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
using scraps is a sign you can "make something out of nothing."

buying precuts only proves we are willing to spend waaaaaay too much on next to nothing.

and ... yes ... i have purchased precuts.
then usually kick myself. lol
PatriceJ, that is how I feel. For me, you hit the nail on the head. I also like the idea of using scraps because it seems that the project is free and makes me feel that I am justified in buying more fabric. Oh, the ways that I delude myself when it comes to my hobby.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:26 AM

when I calculate the price per yard of precuts , they are so expensive, I can't justify buying them, ever. My only exception is a fat qtr bundle so i can get a whole collection. But I don't do that often.
Generous quilters from this board have donated scraps to me to make QOV charity quilts for our veterans. I spread them out, stare at them, and then use my imagination (and my 1000 blocks book) to piece them together. I have learned a lot about quilting using up these donations. They are always a challenge. I buy the batting, backing, and quilting to finish them up. And now I save all my own scraps, participate in charm swaps on this board and share and make a lot scrap quilts to use up my aging stash. Those little pieces are fun to play with, no need to buy precuts.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle
I only buy large yardage pieces 4-6 yds and remnants. Remnants of kid prints for my donation quilts or pieces I already have stash like.

I don't buy precuts. I had a bunch of scraps and have probably made 60 - 80 quilts. I have 6 waiting to be finished and am working on another 6 - 8. Then I will have used up mine and my daughter's scraps.

I swear after all these scraps I am going to not let them accumulate again.
Oh no! Now you've challenged the universe to visit upon you heaps o' scraps!

Plus, scraps never seem to get used up - they multiply overnight. : )
Old 07-16-2018, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
I'm the other way around. I dislike scraps but love pre-cuts!!! One reason I like to buy precuts is that I like to have several fabrics in a certain line, or a number of pieces to work with. But scraps drive me crazy lol I give them away.
I never wash my precuts, so they sew beautifully for me. I like that I get the entire line of a designer and then add to it with prints and solids from my stash. I really like Kim Brackett and her jelly roll quilts, mine have turned out beautiful.